Hydrometer readings fresh appale juice 1010 is this right ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciderboy

Reaction score
hi ive bean busy geting more fresh appale juice today ive took a reading of 1010. shurley it should be higher than this can any one advise ive used about 4-5 varites. im not quite shure exactly what they are other than one beeing cookers .defintley no crab apples allso today was realy hot and thier was a lot of wasps .about as i was crushing was wondering if they could relise any poison in to my pulp .as i keept desturbing them if im to bring the level up to 1050 buy adding shugar its going to take a lot.any thoughts on this im using a wine hydromter to take the readings is this ok for cider ? your thoughts and advice greatly welcomed thanks

Wine hydrometers are often calibrated in Brix, so if it reads 10 Brix, that would be 1.040.

thanks for the reply i will have to get a one for cider/larger all i no was it was in the red at 1010 if it is reading in bricks and is infact 1040 that would be great if its not the problem i wondering if the apples im using are just no good if any one else can help i aprechiate it thanks

Back