how do I stop fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satori

Reaction score
How do we stop it?

I did try to stop it. The way I did it was to just add some potassium sorbate and stick it in the fridge.

The problem with this is sometimes the glass cracks. I'd like to avoid this.

So how do I stop it without temperature?

Thanks,

Scott

The potassium sorbate should be enough to kill off all the yeast. I've never heard of glass carboys cracking when put in the fridge but if you've experienced that before I'd say don't make the same mistake twice.

I'm making wine.

Sorbate doesn't kill the yeast, it just prevents it from multiplying. It won't stop it from fermenting to totally dry.

The cracking comes in when I rack it after it clears up. Putting cold liquid in the glass cracked it. It's only happened once, but... still, I'd like to avoid it if there is a better way.

<duh moment> Or, just cool the glass before I rack it! </duh moment>

Sorry, never mind.

Potassium Sorbate doesn't kill yeast it just stops them from starting fermentation again. 1 campden tablet per gallon will kill the yeast dead but then there will be no yeast to condition the wine. if your worried about the wine being to dry i would suggest letting the yeast do their thing till they are done then add the Sorbate and back sweeten to the level you want.

Potassium Sorbate doesn't kill yeast it just stops them from starting fermentation again. 1 campden tablet per gallon will kill the yeast dead but then there will be no yeast to condition the wine. if your worried about the wine being to dry i would suggest letting the yeast do their thing till they are done then add the Sorbate and back sweeten to the level you want.

That's not correct. Campden does NOT kill yeast. We winemakers use it all the time, and it doesn't kill wine yeast. Wine yeast is very sulfite-tolerant. You'd have to use such a mega dose to kill the yeast that the wine would be undrinkable.

My experience with stopping active fermentation is not positive. As TipsyDragon mentioned, most wine makers let it ferment out. Rack into sorbate and sulfites (sorbate works better in the presence of sulfites) to keep the yeast from reproducing. After a few days, sweeten the wine to taste.

The other common way to have a sweeter wine is to simply add sugar until the yeast are overwhelmed by the ABV and stop working. This can be tricky, though- with a happy wine yeast, you could get an ABV of 18% or so! Then you'd have sweet rocket fuel.

My experience with stopping active fermentation is not positive. As TipsyDragon mentioned, most wine makers let it ferment out. Rack into sorbate and sulfites (sorbate works better in the presence of sulfites) to keep the yeast from reproducing. After a few days, sweeten the wine to taste.

So could you do this with beer also? And use, say, corn sugar, honey or something to increase the sweetness in the final product instead of lactose?

yes you can but then you would HAVE to force carbonate the beer.

Or serve it flat. Mmmmm...flat beer.:cross:

If you want sweeter beer, though, just use a less attenuative strain or ferment at a colder temp. Sure, it's tough to control the exact result, but it can be done reasonably well with a little practice.

I just finished up my 1st batch of Raspberry-Lemonade wine, I bought a book and followed the directions on how to make your 1st batch. After it was done I bottled my 1st batch, that was back on Aug 17th, 2010. I corked them and put them on my rack to rest.

We just got back up in the 90's so Yesterday I was not at home and got a call from my wife one of my bottles blew its cork, now the wine closet smells bad and is very sticky.

The book did not tell me to stir the wine before bottling nor did it tell me to add more Campden tablets before bottling.

My worry is that more will blow and we still have warmer weather to come.

Can I put them in the fridge to chill them down to 39 Deg? Will that stop them from blowing their corks? Or am i screwed and I should just have a big party some weekend soon before the rest of them blow their corks?

Let me qualify this by first saying that I know nothing about wine.

When someone over-primes beer, the usual suggestion is to open the cap and vent some pressure. So....Can you just pop out the corks and insert some new ones?

I want to make millet juice(bushera) but am supposed to add some yeast and when it stays for long it ferments which i do not want. How can i preserve it

Back