Lots of Wheat and No Hulls...Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt_shovel

Reaction score
I am struggling to find rice hulls (or any other grain hull/husk for that matter) anywhere near me to help with an upcoming Wit (50/50 Pilsner and Torrified Wheat).

I am getting a bit tired of ringing around without much luck and so thinking I will go ahead and give it a go.

I have a SS braid in a cooler MLT. I figure I will mash as per normal, maybe go for 90 minutes rather than 60, stir a lot during the mash, and then at mash out stick in the balance of my pre-boil water to thin out the mash and drain. If I need to sparge (batch sparge currently), sparge with a failry large amount and resign myself to a long long boil.

Any other suggestions? Will a protein rest help, make worse or add no difference to my percieved lautering problems?

Cheers
:mug:

Torrified wheat will mash about as fast as barley, so there's no reason to extend your mash.

I don't think that a protein rest will help prevent stuck sparging, but I'm not positive on that one.

I've done a 50/50 wheat with no hulls, and the only change I had to make was draining super slow.

If you're having troubles though, just add on a few pounds of rice hulls to your next order from an ingredient house. I know AHS keeps bags of rice hulls around.

My wheat beers have gone better since I started conditioning the barley malt before milling. This softens the husks so they make a bettter filter. I also do a protein rest at 122F for 15 mins.

I am struggling to find rice hulls (or any other grain hull/husk for that matter) anywhere near me to help with an upcoming Wit (50/50 Pilsner and Torrified Wheat).

I am getting a bit tired of ringing around without much luck and so thinking I will go ahead and give it a go.

I have a SS braid in a cooler MLT. I figure I will mash as per normal, maybe go for 90 minutes rather than 60, stir a lot during the mash, and then at mash out stick in the balance of my pre-boil water to thin out the mash and drain. If I need to sparge (batch sparge currently), sparge with a failry large amount and resign myself to a long long boil.

Any other suggestions? Will a protein rest help, make worse or add no difference to my percieved lautering problems?

Cheers
:mug:

I think if you are batch sparging you will be okay without hulls.

I'd bring my total sparge water up to temperature then do a split volume sparge.
Another words, top off your mashtuns volume so you first runnings are half of your total pre-boil volume. stir really well and let it settle.
Start your vorlauf with a very slow flow rate, then once clear and running into your holding vessel, or boiler if you have a separate HLT, adjust your flow rate.
Once your first runnings are drained, add the other half of the sparge water, stir real well, then let that settle a couple minutes before starting your second vorlauf. Again start with a very slow flow rate, then adjust it up after going into the vessel/boiler.

When using rice hulls, do you put them in the mash tun first or mix with grain??
you put them in the mash in the beginning. some guys pre-soak the hulls before they use them to let them absorb the water, but you can figure them just like grain as far as adsorption goes and just throw them in with the rest of the Malts dry.

If you use software you can enter them as a "New" grain, naming them "Hulls" then zero out the gravity points. the software will automatically allow for the water absorption when you add the amount used in the recipe.

Back