Wood-Aged Beer Oaked Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped in to ask a few questions about this recipe, and am glad to see I'm not the only one interested in reviving an old thread! I'm planning to brew this in a week or two, so if anyone who's brewed this can help with a few last details I would appreciate it.

Yeast: 1056/WLP001/US-05, 1098/WLP007/S-04, and Nottingham all seem like they would be good choices. Anyone have a suggestion?

Water profile: I'm starting with pretty soft water, so I have plenty of room to wiggle. I found a hint here where they mention "100ppm hardness," and I'm also guessing I should target sulfates around 150ppm? I would appreciate another set of eyes on this one.

Carbonation: Been awhile since I cracked one open, thoughts on a good target?

If anybody stumbles upon this thread in the future, I highly recommend this recipe. Just kicked the keg, and it was one of my favorite recipes so far. Here are my tasting notes in case it helps anyone:

http://1-21jigawatts.blogspot.com/2014/05/21-oaked-arrogant-bastard-clone-tasting.html

Well.. that is a very nice post and I'm so glad he liked the beer as much as he did. The one fault he found was in the nose and there I will disagree with him, its just a matter of taste but I find the nose very appealing. It comes from the marriage of a rather odd hop with the malt and oak and I could sniff it all day long :)

Thanks for posting this link.

No problem, happy to shamlessly plug my own blog. :) Thanks for the recipe.

The one fault he found was in the nose and there I will disagree with him, its just a matter of taste but I find the nose very appealing.

Haha that's interesting, it is a matter of taste I guess. After the head to head tasting the aroma does indeed match the real Oaked Arrogant Bastard, but I guess mine stayed just a bit too boozy sweet. Do you think the oak chips (all I could find were cubes) would dry it out? Or maybe a darker Special B? Mine was 115L which seems a bit light as I've seen other maltsters up around 150L.

Back