Storing dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
Is there any particular way to store dry yeast (safale 05 to be exact), besides just storing it in a dry place? Ive started doing alot of 2-3 gallon batches latley, so I have been not using the whole packets. Does it need to go in a sealed container, or should i just put a piece of tape over it and hydrate it before using again? Also, how long can I expect it to last storing this way?
thanks

Once you open the packet you need to use it all very soon. Dry yeast is not expensive so I would just throw away the half used packs.

Sealed packets should be stored cold in the fridge.

Any reason you haven't been just pitching the whole thing? Its pretty difficult to provide your wort with too much yeast. And the yeast's viability decreased fairly quickly once that package is open.

Edit: Danstar says open packets need to be resealed, kept under 4 C and used within 3 days.

Any reason you haven't been just pitching the whole thing? Its pretty difficult to provide your wort with too much yeast. And the yeast's viability decreased fairly quickly once that package is open.

Edit: Danstar says open packets need to be resealed, kept under 4 C and used within 3 days.

This has me worried now. I am in the same situation as the OP, I do smaller batches and only used half of the Safale US-05 packet the first brew, it has been a couple of weeks and I just used the remainder of it. I folded the packet and "sealed" it with tape and put it right back into the fridge after the first use. I hope the yeast are still viable.

Though I brew five gal batches therefore use the entire package, I'd probably vacuum seal it and store it in the fridge. Rehydrate it to proof it so you know it's viable before use.

Back