Biscuit substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrkettle

Reaction score
I'm brewing JZ's English IPA from Brewing Classic Styles tomorrow morning and it calls for .5 lb of Biscuit malt which I didn't realize until right now that I am out of. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to use in its place? I have ample amounts of Victory so I was thinking about using .5 lb of that in place of the biscuit. Any suggestions?

Not exactly the same, but close enough.

Victory is a brand name owned by Briess, and biscuit is generic. But both are made with pretty much the same specifications.

Victory malt won't be exactly the same as a biscuit, but only because it's made by someone else. By the same token, generic biscuit malts will also differ from maltster to maltster.

So, in my mind, unless a specific biscuit malt product is given (i.e. biscuit malt from Dingman's) then victory is pretty much the same thing as what the recipe calls for.

Back