Hallertau substitutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
Right now I have Magnum, Willamette, and Sorachi Ace in decent quantities but my Hallertauer is almost gone. Instead of getting more Hallertauer I'd like to try something similar...but still appropriate for German Lagers and Belgian Ales.

From what I have read the following are possible replacements:
Crystal, Liberty, Mt. Hood, Vanguard.
Any others?

Do you have a favorite Hallertauer sub? Or just any favorite 'noble' sub? I'm more after aroma than anything. It doesn't have to be a Hallertauer sub...but it needs to be appropriate for German Lagers. I know most German Lagers are not heavy on the hop aroma but...I still would like these hops to have a lot of noble-ish aroma.

Also, I think it's food saver time.;)

Crystal and Mt. Hood are both derived from Hallertauer. When I sub I'll typically use Crystal.

Anybody know why the US-grown versions of historically Euro varieties like Hallertauer/Tettnanger are more expensive than the imported German-grown versions?

I'm still gonna get at least one of the above but I thought I'd get a pound of Tett too. But Tett-US is $38/lb and Tett-GR is $26/lb.

Saphir would make a good Hallertau substitute. They have a nice Noble hop character with a little more citrus. I used Saphir in my pils and the gravity samples have been quite tasty.

Back