Preventing Pellicles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INWarner413

Reaction score
Out of my past few batches, most of them have developed a pellicle. I'm well aware that certain styles benefit from/necessitate pellicles, but I don't want to see them on any batches unless I decide I want them there!

I think I've read that I need to throw away some of my equipment/tubing to prevent future contamination. What all of the following do I need to replace before I brew my next pellicle-free batch?

1. Tubing?
  2. Bottling Buckets/Spigots? [I use these as primary fermentors, too]
  3. Airlocks?
  4. Auto-Siphon?
  5. Bottle Filler?
  6. Carboy bungs?
  7. Hydrometer Test Stand?

Also, once I replace what I need to, any good tips on how to prevent future unwanted pellicles? I know to sanitize, sanitize, sanitize...should I only use an individual fermenter for only one type of product? For example, should I avoid using a primary fermenter for a batch of beer AFTER I've used it for a batch of wine?

Keep sour equipment seperate from your regular brewing equipment so you do not cross contaminate.

I never even once had a problem with Iodophor in my 7 years of brewing. If used properly, the Iodophor is not your problem.

Like someone else said, I would replace all your plastic tubing and for the rest do a thorough soak in PBW or oxiclean, rinse well, then soak in bleach and again rinse really well. Use hot water for the PBW and cold water for the bleach.

TB

Back