Smoking Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
Not as to stuff in your pipe, but as to give it flavor. I have an pretty industrial smoker, but it still does not suit the job to smoking barley. We are talking about a *LOT* of large seeds (for my 10 gallon batches) to be smoked. What is the best way? I'm trying to do a Scottish Heavy Rauch (call me advantageous) and I'm having a hard time ... "injecting" the flavor.

Once again I have a standard smoker (just like a grill but contained in a cylinder)

Let me know of any suggestions.

I do mine 2-3 lbs. at a time, using smoking pellets. I put them in between two pieces of aluminum window screen and secure them with metal clips. You have to be careful removing the grains; I always manage to spill a few! I've wondered if I'd fare just as well spreading a thin layer on cookie sheets. It would sure be easier.

I place them in large zip lock bags and store them at room temperature for a few days. I read that doing this a few days before you plan to use them helps develop the smoke flavors and aroma in the grains. It seemed to work well for my Scotch Ale last Fall.

Rhoobarb said:
I've wondered if I'd fare just as well spreading a thin layer on cookie sheets. It would sure be easier.
Just speculating here, but I imagine it would take much longer to smoke the grains as you wouldn't have nearly the smoky airflow across the grains that you get with your screen.

That sounds like a good way to smoke it, with the screens and all, but isn't that stuff galvanised? I know you can get sicker than a dog if you braze any metal that's galvanised as it burns off the coating, it's supposed to be poisonous......
I would use screen, but I'd have to go SS, just to be sure...

Back