how fast will beer skunk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am now wondering how fast beer wil skunk in direct sunlight. I bottled 2 cases of a light ale in CORONA botles just now. I have never used em before but my bar owner friend saved me a boatload of em. Anyway I fill a case at a time and then cap, label and box em up. The filled bottles set on my kitchen table right in front of a bright window. Was this enough time to harm the beer?

perhaps - depends on how hoppy the beer is and how intense the UV rays were. I once had a Dogfish 90-min IPA skunk as I drank it sitting outside on a very sunny August day. I could literally taste the skunking increase with each sip over 15-20 minutes.

NO.

I would guess it would have to have been 95f or higher in addition to that to skunk in that time.

Beer was right out of cold crashing. VERY light on hops so light in fact I tease my BMC drinkin friends and tell em I made it for them. I named it VAGINALE lol...so I should be good.

Beer was right out of cold crashing. VERY light on hops so light in fact I tease my BMC drinkin friends and tell em I made it for them. I named it VAGINALE lol...so I should be good.

Yeah, I think you're fine. FWIW though, temp really has nothing to do with it - UV light is the killer.

I poured a pint of my APA and sat on the porch in the sun with it. It was skunked in five minutes, no kidding. That fresh hop character was totally destroyed.

direct sunlight can skunk a beer in under 1 min.

Unless they were in direct sunlight during the bottling process, no problem. The UV levels for indirect sunlight are generally 100x less intense.

All that said, Steve, Get Them OUT of the light. and unless you're going to permanently be drinking those inside, recycle those useless bottles as soon as they're empty.

All that said, Steve, Get Them OUT of the light. and unless you're going to permanently be drinking those inside, recycle those useless bottles as soon as they're empty.

They are in boxes covered with a blanket...I have a friend who LOVES corona. I might skunk a 6 pack on purpose for him lol.

DOH! Thanks for the heat clarification!

Heat is bad though, right?

It certainly makes the right condition for bottle bombs. Once conditioning has taken place, heat ages the beer faster and can cause other problems. It takes time, though, and the more heat the faster the problems arise. If you're looking for faster aging, though, more heat can be beneficial, within reason.

Back