Saflager S-23 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrojanMan

Reaction score
This is my first time using this yeast and I want to see if there's something I can do to improve performance.

Batch is 5 gallons using 10# 2-row single-step infusion mashed @ 150*F 80 min and 1.5# sugar syrup (agave nectar). OG: 1.050 Pitched 1.5 pints of active starter at around 70*F. Temperature remained at 65 for two days, during which the gravity dropped by about half to 1.025(ish). Chilled using an ice water immersion bath for the carboy and wrapping in a wet towel for evaporative cooling. Temperature stabilized at 55*F after appx. 12 hours and it's been chugging along at that temp for the past 4 days.

I'm now 6 days into primary and took a sample last night for a diacetyl test. There's still a noticable ammount of diacetyl, gravity is at 1.012-1.015 ish and airlock activity is still apparent. This, I expected.

What I did not expect was a kind of musty, gym sock like taste and odor. Like stinky shoes.

Question is this: Did I start the yeast at too high of a temperature for too long? The information I have from S-23 claims it'll ferment clean up to 68*F and I was below that for almost all of the initial period. I dropped it down to the recommended 50-55*F range and it's been there for a few days.

I have never used this yeast before. Is the off flavor something that will clear up and/or sediment out (perhaps it's the still-suspended yeast itself?) or have I killed this brew and I should just buy a lagering fridge already?

Any comments about this yeast are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help.

I used this yeast in a lager, came out very clean. I fermented in the low 50s about 52. from what Ive heard this yeast can leave fruity flavors if fermented too high... yet I only have experience fermenting low with this particular strain. this beer got compliments from my LHBS for having brilliant clarity and a very clean taste.

after fermentation is complete i would do a diacetyl rest, then lager until you are happy with the product. if you dont have a fridge big enough to lager in a keg/carboy try lagering in bottles.

next time you do a lager pitch at the temp you want to ferment at(low 50s), if its liquid yeast make sure to make a big starter.

in my opinion you should look into getting a fridge with a temp control, as controlling temps is important with lagers.

I just brewed four batches with S-23. Your temp is way too high, that is ale temp.

I dropped the beer down to 50*F as quick as possible, using frozen 2 liter bottles of water and a home made cooler. I kept the beer at that temp for about 12 days, then raised it to room temp for a four day D rest (though, I had detected no diacytl smell), then crash cooled it for four days. Then, into the keg.

Of the three of four batches involved that I have tasted so far, this is the cleanest tasting beer I have brewed.

:mug:

(Does the "gym sock" taste burn the tongue a little? It might be fusel alcohols from a high fermentation temp.)

Well, I have a keezer so lagering in a keg isn't a problem. It's just that I didn't have enough room to stick the whole carboy in there.

I had heard to let it run for a day or two at higher temp before pulling it down to the recommended level. It's sitting at ~55 now in an ice bath but I hope it's not unsalvagable at this point.

It just burns my cheese because that's like $15 worth of grain and 4 hours of my time. Lesson learned, though, I suppose.

I'll let it sit and see if it still tastes funky after it clears. The color, body, head and hop properties are all wonderful, but daggone is it funky right now.

Which is a surprise to me considering the description of the yeast.
... While this yeast will ferment well in lagers and pilsners at slightly higher temperatures (59 and 68*F), the estery, fruity tones produced by this yeast are better developed at lower temperatures (between 49 and 57*F).

I know I'm on the high end of that range, but I pitched at 70*F and it never went above that.

I guess I'll wait until two full weeks are up and then see how it tastes. No harm in being patient.

I used this yeast at 68 degrees and just let it sit for about 1.5 months before kegging.

The beer turned out crisp and clean. You have to let it sit for awhile

I second Brewjunky,

Of all the yeasts I have used, IMO the S-23 benefits the most w/ extended aging. Really a different beer after 1 or 2 months.

I second Brewjunky,

Of all the yeasts I have used, IMO the S-23 benefits the most w/ extended aging. Really a different beer after 1 or 2 months.

Oh, yeah. The two kegs I have lagering now are better every time I get a little taste. They are going to ROCK next month!

:rockin:

Just an update:

It appears my fears were unfounded. I really appreciate the advice here, BTW.

I let it go for the full 4 weeks and then let it have a diacetyl rest for another 4 days just in case. It's been kegged and lagering for a week now. I blew off the sediment and took a small sample today and it's excellent. Just as clean as can be. This is really a killer beer and I didn't think it would turn out this way at first.

S-23 is really lager yeast for dummies. I don't even have a lagering fridge and I got a clean, clear. crisp, beautiful beer using just an ice bath (mid to high 50*F's). I'll definitely be using this one again.

Thanks again for the help and to anybody who might come across this topic looking for a tip or two:
* All lager yeast smells/tastes kinda funky when it's in suspension.
* It's not going to taste correctly until you finish primary fermentation and get a little ways into the lagering period.
* When it gets there -and be patient- it'll be worth it.

Back