Olympics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Golf and bowling are not sports. If I could whack your ball out of the way and try to prevent you from scoring it would be a sport.

Who the hell is this lady with the black hair doing hosting/commentary/interviews? She is AWFUL! Bumbling over all of her words and her jokes fly like a lead fart. Its almost too painful to watch.

I think the women's mud wrestling should have a weight restriction. I don't want to see any more 250 lb Russians in thongs.

Everyone enjoys the olympics! :D

bushvolleystarege0.jpg

bushslapsf9.jpg

bushbacksweatdq0.jpg

I don't like the synchronized 'sports' either. It just seems so arbitrary how they pick a sport to be synchronized. First swimming, now diving.

I'd love to see synchronized Olympic hockey! Each player would have a double on the ice. Now that would be cool to watch!

hahaha that makes my day seing bush smack those volleyball players. well time for another fresh brew and more olympics

As far as claiming that a umpire or referee administers the same amount of control over a game is absurd. Even taking into account the Tim Donaghy fiasco in the NBA, the players still have to make free throws. Scoring is completely on the shoulders of the players themselves. Same in baseball. The umpire can't say "That was a marvelous looking swing. Perfect balance. Kept his down. He only missed the ball by three inches, not quite six, so go ahead and take second base."

It appears as though you don't watch much baseball, an Umpire can rule a pitch a strike even though it's not in the strike zone, or can give a close play at second to the runner, even though he is out.

Or, a ref can call a penalty on a defensive back for late contact or bumping after the 5 yrd mark, even though there was no contact or it was within 5yrds. All of those "judgements" dramatically influence the game and determine the winner, hence the Tim Donaghy scandel. Example: 2004 Yankees vs. Red Sox ALCS

it sounds to me like some of you are just obsest with BALLS
and if you dont see some one playing with then you feel unsadisfide some how.
do you also have a big jar of lollypops in your house and always carry gum or hard cande?

abunch of ball loving conformest, lets all just play the games i like.

i love the olympic games and the sportmenship these fine athleats have show
and the pride i feel when my team wins

it sounds to me like some of you are just obsest with BALLS
and if you dont see some one playing with then you feel unsadisfide some how.
do you also have a big jar of lollypops in your house and always carry gum or hard cande?

abunch of ball loving conformest, lets all just play the games i like.

i love the olympic games and the sportmenship these fine athleats have show
and the pride i feel when my team wins

Nah, I'm not particularly "obsest" with BALLS. They are nice, though, I'll grant you that.

I find that great displays of strength and athletic prowess are wonderful- like the gymnastics I've seen so far. The swimming has also been great, and I'm looking forward to watching the bicyclists racing, too. I just think that anything "synchronized" shouldn't be judged differently than doing the same thing alone. Either it's a team sport, or it's an individual sport. (Or event, if not a sport!) And in the case of "rhythmic gymnastics"- it's like a sport for gymnasts that couldn't make it in the world of gymnastics.

This debate reminds me of high school, we had fights all the time between girls and guys about whether or not cheerleading was a sport.

Now its time for girls on trampolines

bring back the man show

Womens trampoline is only a sport if the contestants have DD's or larger. Only then is there potential for injury thus making it sportful.

Me personally, I don't much care for sports but might find "Synchronized Pummel Horse Beer Pong" a worthwhile event to watch.

Cheer leading certainly is a sport. My daughter is a cheerleader. She trains and practices 3 times a week with her team for 2 1/2 hours, then one day for 2 hours open gym for her stunting. They practice 5-6 days a week for 5-6 hours a day sometimes during the summer. Those little girls train as hard as any other athletes, and they compete against other cheer leading teams a couple of times a month during their season - so it is every bit as much a sport as gymnastics is.

A sport is not simply something that's difficult to do, even having competitions does not make it a sport, homebrewing has competitions but its a hobby or an addiction not a sport. Of course not being a sport doesn't make it any less difficult, valuable, or fun. so when someone argues that its not sport don't take so personally.

I'm going to start a petition that Synchronized Mens Diving gets combined with Olympic Skeet for 2012. Hitting two before they hit the water with some birdshot would be impressive.

I'm going to start a petition that Synchronized Mens Diving gets combined with Olympic Skeet for 2012. Hitting two before they hit the water with some birdshot would be impressive.

here here!!
that **** is gay,gay,gay
what self respecting man would do that

Anyone else noticed that the US media is the only place in the world where we are top of the medals table? We use the total medals won rather than the official IOC way of doing things based on golds won. A bronze counts the same as a gold in the US media version!!

Say what you want about the US media and the Olympics, but May/Walsh f&cking RULE! Did you see those sets??? Watching those two has been a highlight of this Olympiad for me.

Say what you want about the US media and the Olympics, but May/Walsh f&cking RULE! Did you see those sets??? Watching those two has been a highlight of this Olympiad for me.

I missed half of the ass smacking, thank god swmbo was there to point them out, so I could rewind and check it out

Alot of these things can be debated as sports ....but fishing?...i fish all the time and have caught everything from brook trout to toutog .........and i hardly think trying to outsmart something with a brain the size of a pea is a sport or will be ever considered to be such

Anyone else noticed that the US media is the only place in the world where we are top of the medals table? We use the total medals won rather than the official IOC way of doing things based on golds won. A bronze counts the same as a gold in the US media version!!

The USA rules, no matter what you think, "brit":D

The USA rules, no matter what you think, "brit":D

+1 on that the USA rules hands down:rockin:
what contry/person held the most (7)gold medals ever gained at a sigle olympic games..oh yeah..mark spits(USA)...who holds the new record?...(8 Gold medals)...oh yeah another american phelps i belive his name is

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

I have heard that while this is accepted as a Hemingway quote it hasn't been entirely validated and there is debate as to if he really said this or not. But it attributed to him more than not.

:off:
I have read "Death in the Afternoon" and he doesnt seem to talk highly of bullfighting in this novel, so I'm not sure that quote can be attributed to him.

Anyway...another view on sport v. not a sport

I have read "Death in the Afternoon" and he doesnt seem to talk highly of bullfighting in this novel, so I'm not sure that quote can be attributed to him.

That's a Hemingway quote, indeed. 'Death in the Afternoon' provides a nice contrast to 'The Sun Also Rises'. In my younger years of Hemingway idolatry, I traveled to Pamplona for the Festival of San Fermin. :rockin: Did my share of flyfishing to recreate the novel on that trip...

Anyway...another view on sport v. not a sport

Ah, but in "The Sun Also Rises", it seems to me that he does glorify bullfighting.

Back