Citra IPA 3gal BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepcdan99

Reaction score
Citra 3 gal BIAB IPA
14-B American IPA

Size: 3.22*gal
Efficiency: 78.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 192.8*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.058 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 11.84 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 5.7% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 54.9 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
4.5*lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.5*lb 2-Row Carapils® Malt
0.5*lb Vienna Malt
0.5*lb Crystal Malt 60°L
0.75*oz Centennial (8.7%) - added during boil, boiled 66.0*m
.5*oz Citra™ (11.4%) - added during boil, boiled 10*m
.5*oz Citra™ (11.4%) - added during boil, boiled 2.0*m
.25*oz Centennial (8.7%) - added during boil, boiled 2.0*m
1.0*oz Citra™ (11.4%) - added dry to primary fermenter

Should be 60min boil. Dunno why I put 90. Brewing this on Friday, made an extract version and it was awesome, just scaled it down, more to come.:rockin:

Bewed on 3/16. Did a 90 minute mash, and 66 minute boil to my lack of attention to my timer. Just dry hopped after a week in primary on 3/23. It smells soooooooooooooo good.

I am kegging it up tomorrow. I am hopeful that it will be as good or better than the extract version. Smells awesome, will take a warm uncarb'd taste tomorrow and post.

Kegged this up today and the sample tastes pretty good. May or may not drop the Vienna and just add 2-row in it's place, we'll see after it's chilled and carb'd.

Very good beer, still a little under carb'd but I don't like to rush them in the keg. It's right in between a Citra Pale Ale and an IPA, leaning a bit more toward an IPA. I brewed up a batch of this the other day and took out the Vienna, and added an additional pound of 2-row. Really just to see how much of the Vienna impacts the flavor. Very good and easy base to start tweaking.

deepcdan99 said:
Very good beer, still a little under carb'd but I don't like to rush them in the keg. It's right in between a Citra Pale Ale and an IPA, leaning a bit more toward an IPA. I brewed up a batch of this the other day and took out the Vienna, and added an additional pound of 2-row. Really just to see how much of the Vienna impacts the flavor. Very good and easy base to start tweaking.

Awesome thanks for all the great info I'll be brewing this soon.

I'll try to post the whole process I used tonight or tomorrow, just for an FYI. I have to dig through my notes. Pretty simple though.

For my setup, I used my 7.5 gal brew pot and a large paint strainer bag from HomeDepot.
1. I brought 5.25 gallons of water to 158-159*F
2. Stirred in my grains, checked temp was around 153-154*F.
3. I am fortunate enough that my brew kettle fits in my oven when I place the oven rack on the bottom of my oven. I set my oven @ 150 and let it sit for 90 minutes.
Note - you just have to keep it at or as close to the mash temp. I mashed at 154. Whether you use my method or check temp every once in a while and turn burner back on, or any of the other methods, your set-up will tell. Also, you probably could do a 60 minute mash, I just chose to do a 90 from what I have seen/learned on the net and have been getting about 80-82% efficiency.
4. After 90 minutes, I removed the grains and placed them in a strainer over a bowl, letting them drain a bit.
5. Bring wort up to temp to boil, adding wort drained from grains in strainer.
6. Wait for hot break, start my timer and add my first hop addition, then continue with corresponding hop additions through out boil.
7. Cool wort to 80 or less, xfer to primary, aerate and pitch yeast.
8. Primary 1 week, add dry hops.
9. After 1 week on dry hops, keg it up.
This one was a bit rushed but still came out excellent. Happy Brewing.

Clearing up nicely, Great head with nice lacing. Very yummy.

0405121748.jpg

Looks awesome I'll be brewing this up as soon as I get home from this deployment. I'm looking at 2 weeks left. Thanks for all the info ill post results as soon as I get home.

The "Vienna-less" brew came out great as well, a very forward apricot taste, not sure where that came from, didnt notice that in the others. None-the-less, very good. Have another in secondary with Munich in place of the Vienna.

The Version with the Munich malt in the place of Vienna came out a little better IMO. Brewing up a similar on this weekend with both Vienna and Munich split. One great thing about this recipe is I have a good tasting base and can play around with one thing at a tim to see how each effects the flavor. Still on its way to perfection, though I am sure I will tweak and tweak and tweak until it becomes a different beer all together.

I hope to brew this one soon. I have been in training since i came back from my deployment. Have you made any improvments?

Good looking recipe. I'd drop the carapils down to .25lbs if any with a half lb of Crystal 60 and sub it with more 2 row for a 3 gal batch. Let the hops shine.

3g IPA
Method: All Grain
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75%

Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV: 6.04%
IBU 138.73
SRM: 9.68

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
6 lb Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 85.7%
0.5 lb Crystal 60L 34 60 7.1%
0.5 lb Munich 33 10 7.1%

Hops
Amount Variety Time AA Type Use
1 oz Nugget 60 min 14 Pellet Boil
1 oz Citra 20 min 11 Pellet Boil
1 oz Citra 5 min 11 Pellet Boil

Mash Steps
Amount Description Type Temp Time
-- Infusion 154 F 60 min

Yeast
Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

That's a lot of IBUs for a standard IPA, but I like the grain bill and choice of hops.

If those are the hops you have on hand, I would go with the following schedule for a slightly more rounded IPA that will still be around 100 IBUs

2/3oz Nugget 60min
1/3oz Nugget 15min
2/3oz Citra 15 min
2/3 oz Citra 5 min
2/3oz Citra at flameout or dry hop

I usually dry hop mine for a week with about 1oz. or so, I love the smell of Citra!!! Good luck, I have brewed about 5 or 6 variations of this beer making minor changes here and there. Over all I have been extremely happy with every one of them. Oh, 1 of them came in Third Place for my first Home Brew Competition at a local Brew Pub.

No prob, brewed a 5gal batch with this recipe for the the most part, think I sucked the last pint out of the keg tonight. Been to hot to brew. The most feed back I got was that it was more of a pale ale than an IPA, but with your Hop's it will be a bit more "IPAish?" I hever used Nugget hops before, what made u go with that for bittering?

I read really good reviews for Troegs Nugget Nectar so I figured I'd give them a shot. I'll post results as soon as I tap it.

deepcdan99 said:
Great to hear, and will do on the Nugget, I have tried many variations on this one and have not gone wrong yet. :mug:

I like it a lot, I think this will be my baseline recipe for my IPAs.

Awesome i cant stop drinking it lol. You should try the Nugget/Cirta combo.

Thanks for the tip.

Doing this one right now. Wasn't sure where to put the nugget vs citra.

Nugget Citra IPA
14-B American IPA
Author:
Date: 8/19/12

Size: 11.0*gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 80.0%
Calories: 188.0*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.057 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.011 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 9.48 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 5.97% (5.5% - 7.5%)