Working on a Shock Top clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockspeed31

Reaction score
My hbst didn't have a clone kit for this, but with a little research, came up with one that would be between a Blue Moon and a Shock Top. Brewed it on 4-17 and as I put it into the ferment bucket, had a gravity of 1.044 @82°.

I just racked it to the secondary and had a reading of 1.014 @70°.
Going to leave it for another week and then bottle. Had a good "tangyness" to it.
Here is a picture of my test sample
2012-04-25_13-53-48_986.jpg

Hope it will clear up a little more by time for bottling. Might post the recipe if it turns out good.

If it comes out decent I might be interested in this for the wife. She loves shocktop and blue moon. Keep us posted how it turns out.

I'm in for a Shock Top clone. I can drink it like water in the summer. I know Austin Home Brew has a Shock Top kit.

The Brewer's Best Summer Ale kit is supposed to be a Shock Top clone. It comes with grains & dried spice/orange zest bag. My wife chose that one for her first batch. I have a pic of it outside in my gallery. It wasn't bad at all.

Bottled my Brewers Best Summer Ale a couple of weeks ago. I brewed this for the warm weather this summer but drank enough of it already that I will probably have to buy another kit.

I love Shock Top. Something I have always wanted to try to clone is the Wheat IPA beer they have. Im not sure where to start with it but I have yet to see someone try to make it.

Shock Top is on my do-not-drink list, since it comes from the BMC makers.

Pratzie said:
Im looking for a Blue Moon clone and would be interested in this. Parents keep asking me to drop some beer off at their house and this is the kinda stuff they like.

My wife likes blue moon and I made AHS's clone with the dry yeast. It turned out good and everyone likes it. If I made it again I'd use 1/2 the spice pack. I fermented at 65 and it was really good. Not sure when this keg will go dry but I'm sure soon.

The Brewer's Best Summer Ale kit (shock top clone) is an extract kit with 8oz carapils for steeping. But the grains need to be crushed first. I think it was pretty good for her first try at brewing. We like shock top so it was a shoe in.

By far my favorite BB kit. This beer was AWESOME to drink through the summer months.

image-1609977016.jpg

Here is my All-Grain version after only a week bottle-aging. Looks and tastes AWESOME!

Back