Dry extract vs. Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
My local HBS (HomeBrew Supply -- did I get that acronym right?) seems fairly comfortable - event adamant - about using syrup extract instead of dry extract. I've seen recipes that clearly use one or the other, or even both, so I'm wonder what other peoples' opinions are on the matter. What do I risk in substituting one for the other?

No worries, it'll get moved soon enough!

You can use either dry or liquid extract, and can substitute either for the other, just keep in mind that you can't substitute 1:1, that is, 1 pound of dry does not equal 1 pound of liquid. You'll want a program like Beersmith in order to calculate accurate conversions.

I prefer dry, as it stores longer and doesn't darken. Liquid extract will darken over time and if stored for too long will cause your beer to be darker than expected. Liquid extract may also grow mold if not stored properly or stored for too long.

Dry extract is made from liquid extract. In this process it is concetrated 20% more. So, 3 pounds of dry extract equals 4 pounds of liquid.

If you see a recipe that has both dry and liquid extract it is just for convenience for the recipe maker. Some stores use cans of extract for recipes and they hold 3.3 pounds. The store makes up the difference in dry extract because 2 cans would be too much for the recipe. Or they have a certain size container for extract and if it is a big beer and the recipe would call for more than the container will hold they might use dry extract to make up the difference.

I would avoid cans of extract and use fresh liquid extract or dry. There is nothing wrong with liquid extract as long as it is fresh. Drying the extract helps keep it fresh as well.

Forrest

Back