How much beer do you drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I love making beer and I love drinking it, but it can have a negative effect on health. I was wondering how much everybody drinks on average and what you think is "moderation." Has anyone here had any adverse effects on health due to alcohol consumption? I keep it to two average-strength beers per day. I thinks it's okay to drink a couple every day, but if you have a whole bunch in one sitting, that's when the negative side effects set in.

i rarely go a day without drinking at least 3 beers and at least 3 nights a week go all out, drinking cases. i wouldn't advise it, tho...i'm not the most healthy creature on the planet

:drunk:

4-6 per night...... put on a little weight, but been doing this for 10 yrs. I stay active and eat well, so I don't worry about it much.

I'm about with yuri. Maybe averaging 3 per weeknight. Last night i finished up with some Knob Creek while reading the Zombie Survival Guide. Gotta brush up before Halloween...but I digress.

Just Friday and Saturday evenings for me. You can throw a Thursday in there now and then too. When I drink beer, I just about always have 3+ - usually +

Well, there are actual numbers you can assign to this, and they did that very thing in the UK. They assigned a "unit" as a standard measure of alcohol per drink, and have a recommended maximum and per-session amount of units. In the UK, 1 "unit" is one 330mL bottle with 2.9% of alcohol by volume. The maximum recommended is 28 units per week (for a man) and 21 units per week (for a woman), not to exceed 7 units in a sitting.

What does that translate to in US terms? Well, 1 unit in the US is defined as one 330mL bottle with 5.6% of alcohol by volume. By adjusting the numbers accordingly, this leaves about 16.5 drinks per week for a man, 12.4 drinks per week for a woman, not to exceed 4 drinks in a sitting.

That is, assuming a proper diet and hydration, no prior history of liver disease, no family history of liver disease, not taking acetaminophen or other drugs metabolized by the liver, etc.

I probably drink beer on average 3 or 4 nights a week. I normally have 2 or 3, but have been known to drink quite a bit more than that from time to time.

I'm a lightweight. I drink one beer almost every night, occasionally 2, and almost never more than 3 on a weekend with friends. I love the taste of beer, but I don't really like being on the other side of buzzed. Since I can't say I tast beer properly after 2, this works well for me:)

Plus, I have three small kids. I never know when 100% of me will be required.

During the week i may have 4-6, but on the weekend it is usually a case. I need to cut back, it is having an effect on my health.

It all depends. Sometimes I'll go all week without a beer if I'm really busy but I'd say that I average 0-2 per night on weeknights and considerably more on the weekends. One thing I like about having beer on tap is I can pour 1/2 pint if I just feel like having a little taste.

Usually 1 a night, sometimes 2. Rarely more than that.

I want to start brewing low ABV beers so that I can drink more.

Like BrewBrain, I have kids so I never know when I'll be needed.

I have between 0-2 per night or probably a total of 10 a week. Sometimes I'll burn through 6 in a Saturday night but then I'll force myself to lay off a few days during the week.

Not much, most days none. When I drink it's 2-3 or maybe just one. Makes it difficult, as I enjoy brewing and it can take a month or more to drink a cornie. Since I have 3-4 beers on tap, the cycle is really slow.

Haven't done much heavy drinking since I got out of the Navy. Don't need to either.

I Drink anywhere from 1-5 beers on any given night. Usually on friday night I'll get a few special beers from the sotre and have a little party with myself.:)

Fridays and Saturdays mostly. With the baseball playoffs and football on, My consumption is up. If i drink during the week , maybe it's 0-3. Weekends could be 6-10 a night.

Right know i'm on number 3....:rockin: The Simpsons are funnier with a beer or two....

1-2 per night on average... Usually that average comes from drinking 3-4 nights a week and not drinking at all for 3-4 nights a week...

No negative health effects, not even weight gain. I'm 5'6" and weigh in at 130-135lb. Heck, 1-2 a night (if the right strength) may even make me feel pretty good! :ban:

all my **** is in kegs so I dont count or maybe thats so I CAN'T count... Just kidding I too have 3 chitlens at the house so never know when I need to be at the top of my game. But I tend to go @ least 1-2 a day. a keg lasts about 3 weeks or better
JJ

I drink 4 or 5 a night over a period of ±10 hours (I'm on my 4th and final one for tonight). The higher the alcohol content the less I'll drink per night.

If having 5 hobbies wasn't enough, I went and added beer brewing as a 6th. That's the only drawback I've found...Not enough time for the other hobbies!

I've had no weight gain (actually have lost a little) and remain very active.

Some people drink soda, I drink beer instead.

Brewing Clamper said:
How's this: I am now 15lbs heavier than I was when I started brewing 1.5 years ago.

I normally consume 4 to 6 per night.
I have gained a little since starting the brew process, about 10lbs. and started 1.5 years ago as well. It don't help that I went from production to management either. Weekends are higher but the conversion rate scares me so I won't post it.:tank:

I usually drink 2 or 3 a night, sometimes more. I havent gained any weight yet, I just keep truckin at 155. I generally drink every day. I have 1 cornie now, its a pain, I cant seem to empty it to put my next batch in...

dollhousebrewery said:
I usually drink 2 or 3 a night, sometimes more. I havent gained any weight yet, I just keep truckin at 155. I generally drink every day. I have 1 cornie now, its a pain, I cant seem to empty it to put my next batch in...

Where do you live? I am sure we could help you empty that cornie real quick!

I might pull up to 6 pints a week but rarely drink on weekdays. I currently have 5 kegs on tap and 2 beers waiting to be kegged later this month. I need to drink more!

Wild

I drink 1-2 every other day. Unless there is a Pittsburgh panther game on, then i'm not sure. Need to drink a lot this season, it's been painful to watch.

Just at home: hardly none

Out with a couple buds: a few to several

Out with the crowd and in a good mood: how much is available?

talleymonster said:
... and have a little party with myself.:)

careful, do that too much and you might go blind or get hairy palms!

Me: 1 drink a night, typically a beer with dinner or after. I might have a couple on the weekend or none. If I go out, it will be a couple but I am generally driving so it has to be kept in check.

It's an interesting topic. I average about a beer a day during the week. I find that just one beer can help me forget the hellish commute.

The weekends it depends... By myself or with the wife I will only have one. If I'm with friends and family I will cut myself off at 3-4.

I try not to get trashed anymore. I figured if I made it to 31, I may as well see how much longer I can last. That being said every once in awhile.... Heh. Old habits die hard.

1-3 a night, weekends 1-6 a night. Never more, hardly ever less. Fatboy wise? I've gained some pounds, but I think it has more to do with my quitting smoking. I eat too much. Liver wise? I've heard, and I have no clue howh true it is, if you have a couple: no worries. If you have quite a few, drink plenty of water at the same time: not much to worry about. SO that's what I do, I piss a lot, but makes me feel healthier.

Back