Strawberry Flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Hey guys, just made up a must for a strawberry wine. Was curious when it is finished and I sweeten it up a bit do you guys have any suggestions as to were I can pick up or make some natural strawberry flavoring?

Cant help you on where to find extract or flavoring, but have you thought about making a strawberry reduction?

Cook about a lb of strawberrys sliced in a cup of water and simmer for thirty minutes. Place in cheese cloth and extract all the goodness. Bring the liquid back to a simmer and simmer until you have a quarter cup left.

Ive never used it for wine, but you can add sugar and its great for desserts and sauces, strong strawberry flavor.

Again never used a reduction for wine, dont see why it wouldnt work though.

Edit for an alternative. Just occured you could make strawberry syrup by covering sliced berries with an equal part sugar and leaving it in the fridge for a couple days. Then fish the chunks from the syrup, give them a squeeze so you dont miss a drop. Might be good for backsweetening since it sounds you will be doing that.

I simmered fresh strawberries in water on the stove. Strained and then added to fresh strawberry wine. We just opened a bottle last night and it is awesome - full of strawberry smell and taste.

You can buy extracts at Olive Nation (on line). I had a 4 oz bottle as a back up but did not need it.

I would slice and freeze the berries, then bring them out to thaw and cover in granulated sugar. Use the resulting sweet strawberry syrup to add flavor during backsweetening.

Back