Possibly a dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroach01

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was reading through new posts and something struck me. We say that direct sunlight can cause skunky taste to beer due to hop isomerization (?) within minutes. If you do the boil outside in the sunshine, why is there not this flavor since you do hop additions outside? I'm sure there is an explanation, I just don't know it.

:tank:

I don't think that skunky happens as fast as you are thinking. I've drank beer in bright rooms and even outside without skunky flavor at the end of the glass.
Next, the wort you are boiling isn't beer yet. The oils from the hops are being added from the start of the boil to the end as we do hop additions. They are still becoming part of the beer and they will change in nature from boiling temp to cooled temp.
Next, most of us don't have a clear boil pot so the amount of direct sun light getting to the beer isn't the same as say a clear bottle sitting on the deck.

One way to find out, Do the exact same beer outside on a nice bright sunshiny day, then do it again in the garage or whatever when it is overcast/rainy. see if they taste different! Experiment time!!!

Back