Traveling for 2 weeks -- to rack or not to rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novaraz

Reaction score
On Labor Day, we brewed up Yuri_Rage's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale as a partial mash (6 gal batch size), and an additional 2 gallon AG. Pitched 1.5 packets on S-04 on the pumpkin, the other 0.5 on the small batch. Fermentation started immediately, and has now slowed. I am leaving for 2 weeks on Wednesday.... so, Assuming the FG is stable for 3 days, would you guys rack after 8-9 days in the primary to a secondary, or just let em be? The recipe for the AG is below, if interested. They been in a swamp cooler with temps in the 60s, but I expect the temps to go up to the low/mid 70s while I'm away.

"TR" Ale
3# US 2-row
1.5# malted red wheat
0.5# Crystal 20L
0.4oz cascade @ 60min
0.25oz sorachi ace @ 15min
0.25oz sorachi ace @ 0min
Mashed 150-145 for 1 hour.
Pitched 0.5 packet of Safale S-04 at ~70F.
Planned 2.5 gallon batch, about 2 gallons made it in the primary, with 1.061 OG.

I would just leave them alone, a month in the primary is a good thing.

Just leave'em in primary while you're gone. They should be done & settling out clear by the time you return.

Where is that thread regarding the long discussions on racking or not racking to secondary, I'd like to study it. Can someone hook me up ?

I had a feeling that's what everybody would say! :) I asked mainly because Thunderstruck recipe calls for a secondary. Ideally I would do 2 weeks on the yeast, then 10 days in the secondary with the spice addition with 5-7 days left. I guess adding the spices at kegging when I return can't hurt, right?

normally, I throw the spices in at the end of the boil, but in your case, you can always "dry hop" with the spices a few days to a week before kegging. It also sounds as though you are concerned about the temps... I wouldn't be overly worried. Whereas it would be nice to have perfect temperature controlled fermentation throughout the whole process, not all of us have that. However, the initial, vigorous fermentation is where I place most of my concern, because during that phase, the action of fermentation can raise the internal temp 5-10 degrees, (plus, i do believe that is when the majority of off flavors are generated) so I like to keep it cool during that phase, then I worry less. I wouldn't be concerned about some ambient 70s at this point.

Back