Is 0.236"/6mm thickness enough for a stainless steel kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank_grimes

Reaction score
Have just purchased a 34L stainless steel kettle with a 6mm base, and my flatmate advised that heating the base of it over too high a temperature will result in burnt spots appearing in the base of it.

Is this still useful for doing my boil in? The base can cover all four elements on our gas stove, if I set these all to low heat and wait a little longer for the boil will I be OK to use this thing as a kettle?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: OK, after checking up on other threads regarding pot thickness I'm satisfied that it is thick enough, my 14L pot has a copper sandwich base which is probably the reason my new stockpot felt so light when I took it out of the box.

For NZ brewers: check these guys out http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=4046870 - seems like pretty awesome value on stockpots in a range of sizes. Will bump this thread once I've tested it out and can give some proper feedback.

Back