How do you pronounce...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60/- Light: og 1.030-35
70/- Heavy: og 1.035-40
80/- Export: og 1.040-50
90/- Strong: og 1.072-85

or thereabouts... the /- as mentioned above refers to shillings, a scotish currency back in the day. it was a designation for how much tax was levied on each barrel.

Yuri_Rage said:
80 Shilling - no idea exactly what it means other than a reference to foreign currency.

A shilling is/was 5p (five old pennies)

Beer in Scotland was traditionally categorised by invoice price per hogshead barrel. This ranged from 40/- ale (very light beer such as table beer, often supplied to farmhands in rural areas) up to Twelve and Fifteen Guinea ales. The latter were dangerously strong beers, usually bottled, and sold mostly in 1/3 pint imperial measures known as 'Nips'.

Though the price of a hogshead became much more than 40/-, 60/- etc, the shilling system continued to be used to denote an Ale's quality. This terminology eventually became legally recognised under the terms of the 1914 Finance Act (session 2).

OTH.

I'm sure there are some fans of this type out there, but I do know of at least one critic: Cheesefood. Talk with him and see what he thinks about the style. I, myself, have never tried it, so sorry.

It is not really a style.

The style is Scottich ale and the 60/70/80 is do do with the strength.

It is similar to a English bitter, best bitter and ESB.

It's down to what the brewery call it base on the strength.

McCall St. Brewer said:
Thank you, all. I think I may try making one. Anyone else ever do one recently?

I just brewed up a scotch ale that would probably be considered an 80 /- yesterday. I won't know how it turned out for a while though, gonna let it sit for several months before kegging.

McCall St. Brewer said:
Thank you, all. I think I may try making one. Anyone else ever do one recently?

I havent made one recently but the Scottish and Irish beers are my favorite. They are malty beers with little hops flavor or aroma. The IBUs are in the low range starting out at about 10 for the 60/ and maxing out at about 35 for a Strong Scotch Ale (barley wine territory OG's). They always have a bit of roasted barley in them and sometimes a bit of crystal or peat smoked malt also.

If I was going to try to describe it to you I would tell you to think the exact opposite of a IPA.

orfy said:
A shilling is/was 5p (five old pennies)
Yup, I knew that much...just never bothered to find out the history behind the beer.

Actually, this thread has inspired me to try my hand at a Scottish ale, myself. I'm a big fan of strong, malty, lightly hopped ales. Has anyone brewed Midwest's kit? Is it good? They list the ingredients on their site, so I could easily come up with an AG variant. Or, does anyone have a good AG recipe they care to share?

BTW, I think I'll call it "Slash Dash," "Eighty Over Naught," or something equally sarcastic. ;)

Back