Rack to secondary or wait out fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fastdoc

Reaction score
My blackberry wheat has been fermenting in primary for 8 days now and it's still bubbling away at 3-4 bubbles/minute. The directions state to rack to secondary around days 5-7.

It consists of 6.6 lbs of extract, 2 lbs of amber DME and 5 lbs of blackberries with an OG of 1.065. The frozen berries were added to the cooling wort and transferred into the primary bucket. I used Wyeast 1056 with a 1L starter and it fermented very rapidly, clogging the airlock twice in the first few days.

Let it finish or rack to the carboy, straining out the blackberries?

Let it finish. What temp is it fermenting at? I found that a few degrees lower fermentation will add days to the primary.
On the other hand, will blackberries add a bitter tannin flavor if left in too long? You don't want regrets later. It will continue to ferment in the secondary.

temps range 70-73 although the first couple days were spent at 75.

I looked at it again and it's noticeably slowed to about a bubble/minute. I'll rack it tonight.

Now I need to find someway of straining the blackberries. I clogged my racking cane/tube multiple times when putting it in the primary and just finally gave up and dumped it all in. I think I'll go find a mesh tea ball strainer today.

In my two forays into fruity brews, I added the berries to the secondary. After heating and mashing with a potato masher. It gushed in 3 hours, all that sugar added to all that yeast. But it did take a while for all the sugars to work out of the fruits. But eventually the peels sank, letting me rack to tertiary by keeping the cane up out of the sunken glop. When the cane plugged it's tip, I figured I was DONE.

Back