Beating a dead horse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninkasi

Reaction score
I know this subject has been discussed many times before, but I have a very specific question.

My siphoning tubes retain odor. I clean and rinse them out immediately after use. I let the tube I currently have sit in boiling hot water, hoping that some of the smell would come out: it didn't. How can I clean my siphoning tubes to remove the smell? Should I let them sit in iodophor or something like that for a few days? I personally don't mind the smell, I'm just concerned that it will affect the next beer I do (i.e. a Pilsner following a Porter).

Also, how long does everyone use their siphoning tubes before "retiring" them?

try soaking them in Oxyclean and or Star San. If that doesnt work just retire them. They arent expensive to replace so better safe the sorry.

I just replaced my whole set of tubes and haveonly been brewing for just over a year (16 months) and about 20some brews

Given the thread title I'm really disappointed that there isn't anything in here about aluminum, bleach or distilling.

(sigh)

Pumbaa's right.

olllllo said:
Given the thread title I'm really disappointed that there isn't anything in here about aluminum, bleach or distilling.

(sigh)

Pumbaa's right.

Would it help if I said that my siphoning tubes are made of aluminum...?:D

Back