What can i do with this cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
I have a yeast cake with white labs WLP001. It was origionally in a heavy high abv sweet stout. what can i put on this cake?

Normally, you want to go from something light and small, like a pale ale with a original specific gravity of maybe 1.045 or so, to something bigger and/or more flavorful, like an IPA or somesuch. Starting with a big stout like that, you don't have a lot of choices other than another stout, or a porter, or maybe a brown ale.

You could wash the yeast. That would take out some of the dark color and flavor from the stout. Then you could use it for any American ale you wanted to.

I did a very basic/quick (in other words, half-a**ed) wash on my pacman yeast cake from my smokey scottish style and then dropped a rye pale on it. No problems...no worries.

I suppose you could always rack a IIPA, or IIIPA on it too. A red IIPA/IIIPA? or heck, just do another awsome stout with mo' gravity!

5gB

Back