Help No sign of Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffManMississippi

Reaction score
I have a batch of Old castle Brown Ale from Midwest in my carboy that we did Thursday night and it seems that there is no sign of fermenting within 3 days. I use Whitelabs Liquid yeast it got alil warm for 1 day without be refrigerated (it was still wrapped with a freezing pack ) then placed in the fridge until we needed it again. When i shacked the yeast there was plenty of micro bubbles in the bottle yeast seemed to respond well. i don't know if we need to re-pitch another batch of yeast or what. Plz help thx much.

:mug:

The only accurate "sign of fermentation" will tell you what is happening is your hydrometer reading. If you were referring to "airlock bubbling" that is NOT a trustworthy thing to go by.

Whether it's in a conical, a bucket, or a carboy, it's the same thing. An airlock is a VENT, a VALVE to release excess co2, nothing more.

If it's not bubbling it just means that there no excess co2 to be vented out.

A beer may ferment perfectly fine without a single blip in the airlock.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading to know how your fermentation is going, NOT go by airlocks. The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" like repitching, without first taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on?

Did you take a gravity reading? Perhaps it's already done. Take a gravity reading and see if it has fermented any.

The only accurate "sign of fermentation" will tell you what is happening is your hydrometer reading. If you were referring to "airlock bubbling" that is NOT a trustworthy thing to go by.

Whether it's in a conical, a bucket, or a carboy, it's the same thing. An airlock is a VENT, a VALVE to release excess co2, nothing more.

If it's not bubbling it just means that there no excess co2 to be vented out.

A beer may ferment perfectly fine without a single blip in the airlock.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading to know how your fermentation is going, NOT go by airlocks. The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" like repitching, without first taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on?
Please tell me you copy/paste this every time this comes up every other day! lol

Love ya Rev!

I was actually going to post the gravity readings, the first reading from Monday night was 1.35 or 1.035 its a funny gravity meter and today Sunday the gravity read the exact same 1.35 or 1.035 and no the airlock is not responding but what i was saying as well is that there is no sign of anything going on no head no bubbles in the beer or airlock at all

Perhaps your yeast was no good. If you can, I'd probably re-pitch granted the wort doesn't smell/look weird (I doubt it would after only 3 days if your sanitation was/has been good).

I was actually going to post the gravity readings, the first reading from Monday night was 1.35 or 1.035 its a funny gravity meter and today Sunday the gravity read the exact same 1.35 or 1.035 and no the airlock is not responding but what i was saying as well is that there is no sign of anything going on no head no bubbles in the beer or airlock at all

In order for us to help you, we need as much info as possible and information like what the current gravity reading is or if you took one, and if you don't post it we're going to assume, like 90% of the other threads like this, that taking a hydrometer reading was the least of your thoughts.

Now what was the original gravity before you pitched the yeast? Because if your beet wast 1.050, or 1.060 or anything BUT 1.035, then that's going ot mean you have fermentation happening.

At this stage it wouldn't hurt to repitch, UNLESS it was a really high OG and you've the yeast's attenuation, then there is no fermentables left. But I'm going to assume since you didn't make a starter for the liquid yeast, that you don;'t know whether or not your yeast was viable or not, nor is there is enough cells to do the job. By not making a starter the yeast then needs to reproduce enough yeast to do the job, and that's going to delay things.

In order for us to help you, we need as much info as possible and information like what the current gravity reading is or if you took one, and if you don't post it we're going to assume, like 90% of the other threads like this, that taking a hydrometer reading was the least of your thoughts.

Now what was the original gravity before you pitched the yeast? Because if your beet wast 1.050, or 1.060 or anything BUT 1.035, then that's going ot mean you have fermentation happening.

At this stage it wouldn't hurt to repitch, UNLESS it was a really high OG and you've the yeast's attenuation, then there is no fermentables left. But I'm going to assume since you didn't make a starter for the liquid yeast, that you don;'t know whether or not your yeast was viable or not, nor is there is enough cells to do the job. By not making a starter the yeast then needs to reproduce enough yeast to do the job, and that's going to delay things.

both gravity readings have been the same the og and yesterdays readings . btw og was takin before pitch though

both gravity readings have been the same the og and yesterdays readings . btw og was takin before pitch though

Is this an extract batch? I'm wondering if the first reading was correct or not, since it's so impossible to mix the extract with water initially, it is difficult to really get an accurate OG reading.

Can you post your recipe? We can see what it should be, and if it was higher than betting your current 1.030 is the currect gravity right now, you may have had slow fermentation.....

But either way at this point it wouldn't hurt to add more yeast....

yeah it was a extract kit well i guess more like pm but its a midwest brewing kit. its the oldcastle clone for newcastle i didnt see a recipe that i could post from the web site.

now i have another question should i use the same yeast IF i was to repitch or should i use a dry ale yeast?

Back