Whiskey barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadWeezel

Reaction score
scored 2 of them for 120$ off craigs list!!! So now what do i need to do to sanitize them for brewing?

Unless they've been just recently dumped of their original contents and kept sealed since then, you might have just bought yourself some rustic garden planters.

Barrels that have been left empty and unprotected for any length of time are probably too far gone. There's no real practical way of sanitizing them for beer usage.

I recently acquired a used French Oak Bordeaux barrel. It was recently drained of wine but I went through the steps of adding Potassium Metabisulphite and Citric Acid to sanitize the barrel. I have not filled it with beer as of yet but have the recipe formulated and will be brewing this weekend. Below are some simple instructions.

Barrel Maintenance

New unused barrels
To remove excess oak tannin from a new barrel:

Make a solution of 1 lb. Barolkleen or 1 lb. soda ash plus 2 teaspoons household lye to 5 gallons of hot tap water. Pour into barrel when completely dissolved.

Allow solution to sit for two to three days.

Drain and flush barrel three (3) times with clean water.

Repeat this procedure three times for new, unused barrels.

Make a solution of 1-oz sodium or potassium metabisulfite and ½ oz citric acid for each gallon of water. Use one gallon of solution for each five (5) gallons. Pour into barrel, close bung, and roll around so solution rinses all interior surfaces of barrel.

Rinse again with clear water. Barrel is now ready for new wine.

Old Whiskey Barrels
Whiskey barrels have been charred (burned) on the inside. This char must be removed before putting wine in; or else the barrel will impart a smoky taste to the wine. A cooper will take the barrel apart, remove the char, and reassemble it. It should then be treated as a new barrel.

Other Used Barrels
Even if a used barrel looks clean and smells sweet, it should be thoroughly cleaned before use. Flush well with clean water and treat with the metabisulfite solution as outlined in steps 4 and 5 above.

Reserve Barrels
An empty barrel left standing will dry out and crack. It may also turn sour and moldy. To avoid this:

Wash barrel thoroughly with cold water.
Mix up a solution 2 oz sodium or potassium metabisulfite to 5 gallons of water. Make enough solution to fill the barrel.
Change solution every two (2) months, until you are ready to use the barrel again. Do not use plain water, as that will cause the barrel to mold.

Has anyone looked into this company? These are small barrels, but it seems that one or two might suit the homebrewer well enough. I can imaging getting two of them and aging some whiskey in them prior to filling them with beer.

I've been thinking about it.

sonvolt said:
Has anyone looked into this company? These are small barrels, but it seems that one or two might suit the homebrewer well enough. I can imaging getting two of them and aging some whiskey in them prior to filling them with beer.

I've been thinking about it.

I too was looking at 1000oaks. However, I have come across some info on the net that indicates they might not be the best quality. If you want a full size barrel, used ones can be had from Jack Daniels.

trinitone said:
I too was looking at 1000oaks. However, I have come across some info on the net that indicates they might not be the best quality. If you want a full size barrel, used ones can be had from Jack Daniels.

How? Link/info, plz!

sonvolt said:
How? Link/info, plz!

From the JD General Store. Info is as follows (from an email I received from them):

1. $60 Used Raw Barrel

2. $73 Used Raw Branded Barrel

3. $125 Used Branded Finished Barrel

*Please note: These prices are subject to change at any time.

We ship via UPS and Via Freight Collect. Please contact us toll free to get a rate quote or to place an order. Please call: 1-888-221-5225 ask for Brandi

I've also found a number of other sites from which to get barrels. Let me know if you'd like those as well.

trinitone said:

From the JD General Store. Info is as follows (from an email I received from them):

1. $60 Used Raw Barrel

2. $73 Used Raw Branded Barrel

3. $125 Used Branded Finished Barrel

*Please note: These prices are subject to change at any time.

We ship via UPS and Via Freight Collect. Please contact us toll free to get a rate quote or to place an order. Please call: 1-888-221-5225 ask for Brandi

I've also found a number of other sites from which to get barrels. Let me know if you'd like those as well.

Thnx a bunch ;)

Don't bother with the smaller barrels. The ratios of oak-to-beer/wine/whatever is all wrong. I mean, they're ok for letting the booze rest in them for awhile, but due to the ratio of wood (surface area) to (volume of) booze being different, you really can't "age" your booze in them for extended periods.

That's what I've been told by numerous people and have read in a few books/articles. In other words, just go with chips if you intend to do an extended aging process. On the other hand, if you want to let the beer rest for a week in a barrel before being siphoned off into a secondary for extended aging, that could probably work fine.

Bourbon barrels will make your brew taste like you dropped a shot glass full of Jack into your pint.

REALLY, REALLY REALLY, REALLY......REALLY strong bourbon taste. Local micro does it a lot. I'll try and find out where they source from, but it sure TASTES like Jack.

They age for a long time, usually the more potent recipes-and they get stronger.

Back