I mashed at 160°F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Making my Baltic Porter in my new system, I ended up mashing at 160°F, I wanted full body. I pitched enough yeast I know, and my fermentation started at 1.072 and ended at 1.024. That seems a bit on the high side, but I heard the higher the mash temp, the less attenuation you'll get.

My previous Baltic's have ended at 1.020, so the 1.024 doesn't really bother me. I'm just curious if the mash temp could affect that? And if I wanted to drop the next batch down to 1.020, should I just lower my mash temp to 156?

Get some good brewing software and you won't be surprised at the results when you do something like this. You plug in the actual temps and it'll let you know the expected gravities based upon types of yeast and their expected attenuation etc...

Get some good brewing software and you won't be surprised at the results when you do something like this. You plug in the actual temps and it'll let you know the expected gravities based upon types of yeast and their expected attenuation etc...

I just have Beersmith. Which software is good? I'd like something like that.

When I took temp at mash in it said 158°F, I must have had a slightly cooler spot somehow, because at mash out it was 160°F.

what brew software adjusts attenuation for mash temp?

beersmith just goes by average attenuation in the yeast you select.

what brew software adjusts attenuation for mash temp?

beersmith just goes by average attenuation in the yeast you select.

I've wondered that too. I imagine it may be too difficult to accurately predict a parameter such as that. Ferment temp, pitching rates, oxygen, etc.. all affect the final gravity as well.

Most software that I've looked at show the expected attenuation of the more popular yeast varieties. The temperature adjustment I was referring to was the mash temp, not the fermentation temp. I use brewpal. When my mash is off compared to my recipe, I can adjust in the software and the final gravity will be adjusted based upon the assumption of the fermentable sugars derived from that different mash temp (again, based upon the standard yeast attenuation).

Making my Baltic Porter in my new system, I ended up mashing at 160°F, I wanted full body. I pitched enough yeast I know, and my fermentation started at 1.072 and ended at 1.024. That seems a bit on the high side, but I heard the higher the mash temp, the less attenuation you'll get.

My previous Baltic's have ended at 1.020, so the 1.024 doesn't really bother me. I'm just curious if the mash temp could affect that? And if I wanted to drop the next batch down to 1.020, should I just lower my mash temp to 156?

What temp was your strike water?

My strike water was 175, as calculated by beersmith, I was only off by 2° from my target. I prob over-heated my mash tun, the previous mash I under pre-heated.

I prob over-heated my mash tun, the previous mash I under pre-heated.

You can eliminate this problem by adding your strike water to your tun ~ 10 degrees over your strike temp.

Let it sit with lid closed for about 5 mins, then open and stir till it hits your strike temp.

Then stir in your grains knowing that your tun and strike water are at the perfect temp.

I started doing it years ago and have hit my #s pretty much dead-on ever since and eliminated the whole pre-heating fiasco.

You can eliminate this problem by adding your strike water to your tun ~ 10 degrees over your strike temp.

Let it sit with lid closed for about 5 mins, then open and stir till it hits your strike temp.

Then stir in your grains knowing that your tun and strike water are at the perfect temp.

I started doing it years ago and have hit my #s pretty much dead-on ever since and eliminated the whole pre-heating fiasco.

A most excellent idea!

alex-winters-keanu-reeves.jpg

Que guitar riff...

Back