Filtering Irish Moss / Protein? Clumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used a bunch of irish moss on my current AAA and am cold crashing to get some of the clumps down. I will be transfering from a 6 gallon carboy to a 5 gallon carboy for a little more conditioning/aging. Since I am going from carboy to carboy I won't be able to use a colander to clear up the beer.

Does anyone have any advice on how to strain the irish moss clumps out of their beer prior to bottling? It's done a killer job on clarifying the beer, I just don't want chunks in the final product.

Aeration is a concern at this point in your brew. I would just try to leave it behind when you siphon from one to the other. How much Irish Moss did you use? Anything over 1 to 2 teaspoons was probably overkill...

I agree with JMSetzler--rack just CAREFULLY, and well above the trub layer. If you still get chunks, maybe do it another time down the road.

Yeah, there are other finings (including gelatin) that you can use while fermenting, but you use the moss at the end of the boil. Cold crashing alone ought to do a pretty good job at clearing the beer.

I used it in the boil. There are clumps of stuff which I avoided spyhoning after cold crashing. The beer is as clear as I'll get it. Just wondering what those chunks are. I should have taken a picture.

No one picked up on "I just racked off"

There are clumps of stuff which I avoided spyhoning after cold crashing.

What strain did you use to ferment? The 'clumps' sound like flocculated yeast. If you've ever seen some of the English strains post-ferment, the yeast cake looks like cottage cheese.

The floaters are yeast cells that are still clinging to boyant debris from your boil. It's not easy to filter all the debris durring the transfer from Boil to Fermenter. So your yeast has "Clung" to the reminants.

No worries! They will eventually fall out of susspension durring the Carbonation process and aging.

Cheers:rockin:

What strain did you use to ferment? The 'clumps' sound like flocculated yeast. If you've ever seen some of the English strains post-ferment, the yeast cake looks like cottage cheese.

Ooooh, yes that is it. I've never seen yeast like that. I thought that was something that was binding to the irish moss left in the wort.

Back