Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone have a picture of their grain mill they can post? I just purchased one, and it is in pieces. Of course because of my luck there were do specific directions for assemble, but real men dont use directions anyway.

I would like to see how the rivets look on a picture. Anyone have a cool pic I can see?

Thanks.:mug:

Its the barley crusher malt mill "homebrewers best friend" My problem is holding it together while getting the rivets in place without everything falling apart. IM not sure how to get the rivets in place and hold everything together.

Hoilding rivets in place??

Not assembled?

There is a reason that there are no directions for assembly, they are sold fully assembled. That is why there are no instructions on assembly....

Questions is, who dis-assembled it

Are there loose rivets?

ODD

Well, it came in the box unassembled. The rivets are loose and attached to nails. I have no idea why.....I can get the rivets in, but everything falls apart as I go to the next piece. I tried C clams, I tried every clamp I own, but it keeps falling apart. There must be a way to assemble this without ranting, raving or cursing profusely.

who did you buy it from? unless it was a craigslist deal or an ebay blunder, it might be good to contact the seller.

Yah, if I bought a Barley Crusher and ther RIVETS are not even installed, Id be raising hell. That is insane. Id want a refund... they are marketed as "ready to go out of the box" that is what you pay for, not all the separate components to build one on your own!

Yes, this is a strange tale, and we are missing some important information.

I got my BC from Northern Brewer and only had to unscrew two screws, fit the hopper on, and tighten them down. Easy as beer.

OK put in one rivet and cinch down now aline the next hole and cinch down.
BTW do you have a rivet gun ?:)

I know that as a distributor I can purchase the Barley Crushers with the hopper unassembled if I want to. I do not believe the intention is to sell them unassembled to customers though. I was under the impression that it was just a way to save on shipping costs to the store.

I was also told that the 15lb hoppers can be difficult to assemble without something to hold it, so good luck if you bought a 15lb hopper.

Ed

Isn't the hopper just held on by two screws though? I can see how it would be hard to get it together...but I don't understand the rivets.

The sides of the hopper are separate pieces, with rivets down each corner... it isnt one single fluid piece of metal. Yeah, the assembled hopper screws on, but the sheet metal for the hopper is held together with tons of tiny rivets.

CRAPPY that you have to BUY a rivet gun to put together your BC... Id send it back, with a load of dog dookie in the rollers. Id also inform BC that this vendor is selling it COMPLETELY un-assembled, I am sure that they would like to know this, because this reflects badly on them as well.

Yeah, The Pol and the others are right. Someone left you holding the bag in a bad way. Unless you really got a deal on it, send the freakin' thing back and order one from Ed at Brewmaster's Warehouse. I got mine from him and it was ready to go as soon as I got those DAMNED peanuts out of it.

Yeah, The Pol and the others are right. Someone left you holding the bag in a bad way. Unless you really got a deal on it, send the freakin' thing back and order one from Ed at Brewmaster's Warehouse. I got mine from him and it was ready to go as soon as I got those DAMNED peanuts out of it.

+1 I got mine from Ed... best price SHIPPED that I could find anywhere, and the fastest shipping.

If you got this mill for $80 or so... well, then maybe Id suck it up. Otherwise, send it back, AND inform BC of the issue at this vendor. They need to know that this is happening, because this is NOT how it is supposed to reach the customer.

That's when you test out the hand crank, before hooking up the drill. You have to try at least once right?

DUDE! The cleaning people are already cursing me because those infernal things are always clinging to everything EXCEPT the inside of the trash can! Run them through the crusher and they would have to call in a Hazmat team to get it all out of the office....

Well, I got it from the bells store in Kalamazoo. It was the only one they had left. I think I will take it back. I dont have a rivet gun, nor can I hold it in place to get the rivets assembled. I tried for three hours last niht, and it ended with me pissed and frustrated. Another trip to kalamazoo.

Really?? That is bizzare. They had a whole bunch of them about a month ago. They must have sold a lot of BCs!
I'd guess they have more, the ones I saw had the 7lb hoppers already assembled on them.

Most of the time, they have a competent clerk at the register, but perhaps the unit you got was supposed to be sent back or something??

Well, IM not sure, but your right about the stock. I was in there three weeks ago and they had a bunch in stock. I wanted one, but could not get to Kalamazoo until last Tuesday. I picked one up, it was dissassembled, and here I sit. I am going to try one more tme tonight to assemble it. If I can't get it its going back.

DUDE! The cleaning people are already cursing me because those infernal things are always clinging to everything EXCEPT the inside of the trash can! Run them through the crusher and they would have to call in a Hazmat team to get it all out of the office....

That is funny. I can just picture a team of people in white suits closing down the office to remove the peanuts.

Just in case someone thinks that crushing peanuts is a good idea, it is not and you should definetly not crush peanuts.

I used the hand crank once, because the drill would not work. I crushed a 10 pound grain bill and it was not fun in the least. I would rather buy another drill than crush by hand again.

Crushing by hand isn't THAT bad. I crushed the ~ 9lb bill for my Kolsch a few weeks ago by hand. I'll probably do the same for the 13lb bill for Edwort's IPA I just ordered. I guess I'm just convincing myself that its not bad since I don't own a drill!

Anyone know who manufactures those nice grain mills that a lot of the homebrew shops have. The mill is green, has a bin on top, the rollers are in a cabinet to control a lot of the dust and has a chute on the front to drop the grain into a bucket. I would love to see if they have anything made for home use.

Mystery Solved.

After returning to Bells this morning and complaining that the grain mill was disassembled, they told me that this was not to be sold. When they got it, the person who puts them together made a mistake and this was going back to the manufacturer. So, I returned it, got my money back, and now I have to get a greain mill post haste so I can brew this weekend. I wonder who delivers fast?

Well, I got mine from NB, same price as Bell's sells them for, but it took a week.

Did they have anymore mills? Even a 7lb hopper would be better for you. You can rig up a larger piece with some cardboard and duct-tape, ghetto style.

Also, Bells will let you drop in, and crush, they have a BC in store now.

Mystery Solved.

After returning to Bells this morning and complaining that the grain mill was disassembled, they told me that this was not to be sold. When they got it, the person who puts them together made a mistake and this was going back to the manufacturer. So, I returned it, got my money back, and now I have to get a greain mill post haste so I can brew this weekend. I wonder who delivers fast?

Brewmaster's warehouse has always delivered very quickly for me. You may also want to look at midwest since they are closer, I don't know about their delivery times though. Just make sure you pay actual shipping to get them to pack and deliver quickly, maybe even expedited.

Check for other brewers in your area, one may have a mill you can use.

Back