attempt at 1st cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katskie

Reaction score
Qu. I've started my first cider it's been fermenting for 2wks has really slowed down (not stopped tho)I'd like to put it into a secondary ferm. as I have used raisins. I had wondered if leaving them in there for too long might cause my cider to go bad, it's stored in my basement so it's cool. Also when going secondary can I leave in there for months with or without using super kleer?
Feeling a little unsure, I think I've read too many posts and can't make a decision. I want a good cider and have the impression leaving it for months is key.

I think you got the right impression, bulk aging is generally the best way to go about aging a fermented beverage.

OK age is a good thing!!
What about the Super Kleer could I do that right at the end before bottling?
My recipe indicates I do that in secondary but I'm not sure if I want to use it at all. Other than making the cider clear why would I need this?

That's the only reason to use a fining agent. But time will almost always do the same, and all the while it helps age and mellow the brew.

ok so I'm thinking of bottling, it been 3 months and people are keep asking me when it'll be ready!
My problem is I did a gravity reading and it's 90, which I'm presuming is 0% alchohol, so what have I done wrong or have I???
I put 2lbs of sugar in and there were bubbles it fermented for sure and to be honest it has a tasty mellow apple flavour definately tastes alchoholic almost wine quality so I feel I have something good. just not sure how I read the hydometer
Eager to bottle

Don't worry - the reading you have means it has a specific gravity less than water. Guess what intoxicating by product of yeast eating sugars is less dense than water ;)

Back