American Brown Ale Brown Out American Brown Ale (Tulsa Fair 2nd place Winner!!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyl428

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5gal
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 65°F
Tasting Notes
Toasty hints of caramel & chocolate with a citrusy hop presence. Very Pleasing!!
7lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
2lbs Marris Otter
12oz Caramel/Crystal 60L
8oz Chocolate Malt
8oz Flaked Oats

.75oz Cascade 7.5%aa (60 min)
.5oz Perle 7.5%aa (45 min)
.5oz Perle 7.5%aa (30 min)
.5oz Cascade 7.5%aa (5 min)
Whirfloc @ 15min
1oz Cascade Dry Hop (7 days)

1Pkg US-05

90 min Single Infusion Mash @ 155°F

Won 2nd place in American Ale category @ 2014 Tulsa State Fair!

GEDC0354.jpg

Let us know how it turns out! I like this beer a lot. I'm waiting for my last batch of this I brewed up to finish bottle conditioning should be done next week I'm ready! I think this beer is perfect for Fall.

7lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
2lbs Marris Otter
12oz Caramel/Crystal 60L
8oz Chocolate Malt
8oz Flaked Oats

.75oz Cascade 7.5%aa (60 min)
.5oz Perle 7.5%aa (45 min)
.5oz Perle 7.5%aa (30 min)
.5oz Cascade 7.5%aa (5 min)
Whirfloc @ 15min
1oz Cascade Dry Hop (7 days)

1Pkg US-05

90 min Single Infusion Mash @ 155°F

Won 2nd place in American Ale category @ 2014 Tulsa State Fair!

Congrats! My wife and I grew up in Oklahoma before moving out to Oregon. Can't say I miss it too much but it's always fun to go back and visit :D I'm adding this to my list of recipes to make.

Cheers :mug:

Thanks! Yeah I sometimes wish I was living elsewhere not missing Oklahoma... Lol it's home though... I hope you enjoy this when you make it.

Let me know how it turns out!

Cheers

Brewed this up last night, scaled down to a 3 gallon batch (using your numbers but at a ratio pretending yours is a 5 gallon batch) and hit 1.054 OG. I BIAB and in my process use a little more water to allow trub to settle in the kettle but still get a full carboy. Smelled real tasty as I was siphoning into the carboy, looking forward to the finished product! I had some washed San Diego Super Yeast on hand so that went in along with the stir bar Ooops! So I figured try fermenting it on a stir plate.

20150208_133052.jpg

Brewed this up last night, scaled down to a 3 gallon batch (using your numbers but at a ratio pretending yours is a 5 gallon batch) and hit 1.054 OG. I BIAB and in my process use a little more water to allow trub to settle in the kettle but still get a full carboy. Smelled real tasty as I was siphoning into the carboy, looking forward to the finished product! I had some washed San Diego Super Yeast on hand so that went in along with the stir bar Ooops! So I figured try fermenting it on a stir plate.

MMMMM looks good!

On a stir plate? Interesting I would think it might oxidize it, but I could be wrong.... Never know till you try! Neat idea keep us posted!

Cheers

MMMMM looks good!

On a stir plate? Interesting I would think it might oxidize it, but I could be wrong.... Never know till you try! Neat idea keep us posted!

Cheers

+1 I wouldn't run the stir plate on that while fermenting for more than a day or so.

Let us know how it turns out!

Cheers.

+1 I wouldn't run the stir plate on that while fermenting for more than a day or so.

Let us know how it turns out!

Cheers.

+2000 don't run it on the stir plate. Your going to oxidize the hell out of your beer and possibly over-attenuate especially with that aggressive and highly attenuating yeast. Are you controlling the temp? I'd fear your going to generate a lot of heat too. But to each their own....

So I got this batch bottled up today. F.G = 1.01 for an ABV of 5.7%, 81.5% attenuation. I wasn't worried about oxidizing the beer on the stir plate. My thoughts on it are that you aerate or oxygenate wort to begin fermentation as this is desirable, right? So, being that the carboy has an airlock on it, any oxygen in the headspace gets stirred in then used up by the yeast in the growth phase. A good thing. As fermentation progresses CO2 is produced blanketing the beer, and no oxygen can get in now due to the airlock. I ran the stir plate just a couple of days until krausen began to fall.

The hydrometer sample had a lovely malt nose to it, sweet caramel, dark chocolate notes with a nice hop backing. Mouth feel was very thin, watery. Oh gee, didn't expect that from such a "dark" beer :cross: and there was this "tang" in the taste that is unrelated to anything in the aroma. It goes away with the liquid when swallowed, no "tang" in the aftertaste. Earlier today I went to keg an ESB I made the same weekend as this but it was super cloudy, sour and had only 44% attenuation. A dump batch, so sad. Makes me wonder if the "tang" in this batch is related to the sour batch of ESB but I could still drink this. I'll re-visit in a couple weeks after sampling a carbed up bottle!

20150307_133942.jpg

20150307_142330.jpg

20150307_133931.jpg

So I got this batch bottled up today. F.G = 1.01 for an ABV of 5.7%, 81.5% attenuation. I wasn't worried about oxidizing the beer on the stir plate. My thoughts on it are that you aerate or oxygenate wort to begin fermentation as this is desirable, right? So, being that the carboy has an airlock on it, any oxygen in the headspace gets stirred in then used up by the yeast in the growth phase. A good thing. As fermentation progresses CO2 is produced blanketing the beer, and no oxygen can get in now due to the airlock. I ran the stir plate just a couple of days until krausen began to fall.

The hydrometer sample had a lovely malt nose to it, sweet caramel, dark chocolate notes with a nice hop backing. Mouth feel was very thin, watery. Oh gee, didn't expect that from such a "dark" beer :cross: and there was this "tang" in the taste that is unrelated to anything in the aroma. It goes away with the liquid when swallowed, no "tang" in the aftertaste. Earlier today I went to keg an ESB I made the same weekend as this but it was super cloudy, sour and had only 44% attenuation. A dump batch, so sad. Makes me wonder if the "tang" in this batch is related to the sour batch of ESB but I could still drink this. I'll re-visit in a couple weeks after sampling a carbed up bottle!

Yes, you want to aerate your wort before fermentation, never during or after. I've never heard of anyone putting their carboy on a stir plate and there is a reason for that. You're beating up the yeasties and stressing them out. Have you ever watched the carboy during high krausen? The wort is churning aggressively simply from the yeast going to work, you don't need to aid this. The tang you're tasting is probably from stressed yeast or too low of mash ph if you're doing all-grain.

Also, since you're using clear bottles, you'll want to keep those out of the light as you can risk getting "light struck" which will create that skunky taste that would be undesirable in a brown.

I had an odd tang to a batch of Brown Ale, a while back, and didn't think about the tubing I had used when I used it again. Two batches of bad beer in a row. I bought new tubing and a bottling wand, and have had no trouble since.

Now that the beer is carbonated, the "tang" isn't so noticeable. All things considered I think it turned out fairly well. I don't think running the stir plate hurt it one bit, though I'm finding with a couple other batches of beer that I don't really like the San Diego Super Yeast. My wash may have gotten a slight contamination, or the yeast itself just has a character I don't care for. Will stick to WLP 001.

I would say this batch over attenuated and the thinness could be contributing to the "tang" a little, with the dark malts just not being balanced out. Otherwise I do enjoy the hop profile and would brew again with the proper yeast.

Seems I got a lot of hate just for trying fermentation on a stir plate... Guys it isn't my standard practice just the stir bar accidentally went into the carboy with the starter so I was stuck with it in there until bottling time and figured why not try it for fun? It's my beer after all no loss to any of you if it didn't turn out well!

Relax, don't worry, and have a home brew!

Now that the beer is carbonated, the "tang" isn't so noticeable. All things considered I think it turned out fairly well. I don't think running the stir plate hurt it one bit, though I'm finding with a couple other batches of beer that I don't really like the San Diego Super Yeast. My wash may have gotten a slight contamination, or the yeast itself just has a character I don't care for. Will stick to WLP 001.

I would say this batch over attenuated and the thinness could be contributing to the "tang" a little, with the dark malts just not being balanced out. Otherwise I do enjoy the hop profile and would brew again with the proper yeast.

Seems I got a lot of hate just for trying fermentation on a stir plate... Guys it isn't my standard practice just the stir bar accidentally went into the carboy with the starter so I was stuck with it in there until bottling time and figured why not try it for fun? It's my beer after all no loss to any of you if it didn't turn out well!

Relax, don't worry, and have a home brew!

No hate at all glad it turned out okay in the end, hey experimenting is part of what this hobby is about:mug:

I don"t know about the "tang" this beer had a nice toffee note to it for me with a clean hoppy finish, mmmm i'm kinda making myself thirsty for some might be time to brew up a batch of this. ...

Hi, I know this thread is a little dusty, but I saw this recipe and it looks fantastic! I was wondering if you could post some tasting notes? Also is there any commercial product out there you could compare this with? I love the Browns, I might give this one a shot. Nice job on the 2nd place @ the state fair!!!

Hi, I know this thread is a little dusty, but I saw this recipe and it looks fantastic! I was wondering if you could post some tasting notes? Also is there any commercial product out there you could compare this with? I love the Browns, I might give this one a shot. Nice job on the 2nd place @ the state fair!!!

Hey It has been a while since I've done a batch of this maybe it's time i make one! I will look I still have judges tasting notes I will post them later on for you I haven't been so good about writing down my own tasting notes unfortunately.

I do remember I liked this beer, and IIRC it was similar to moose drool, not a clone, but that's the closet comercial example I can think of

Okay here it is :

"Aroma: medium woody hop low chocolate low toffee moderate caramel malt."

"Flavor: Medium low chocolate dark toffee malt low/med bitterness, woody hop flavor.
Balance slightly towards the malt finishes semi-dry with lingering toffee note in the aftertaste."

Hope this helps, let me know how it turns out if you decide to brew it!!

Cheers!
Kyle

Sounds great! I'm thinking of brewing this on Black Friday. I will let you know. Thanks again for the info. Prost !
Jeff

I'm wanting to brew a solid brown ale and maybe this is it.

I've had issues doing these before though. There's always some kind of 'taste' that I can't seem to get away from. Like green apple sort of. I realize that's a common off flavor for a young beer.

I wonder if putting the roasted/dark malts in the last 10 minutes of the mash would get rid of it?

I do BIAB and no sparge.

I'm wanting to brew a solid brown ale and maybe this is it.

I've had issues doing these before though. There's always some kind of 'taste' that I can't seem to get away from. Like green apple sort of. I realize that's a common off flavor for a young beer.

I wonder if putting the roasted/dark malts in the last 10 minutes of the mash would get rid of it?

I do BIAB and no sparge.

I have heard of that method before, although I have never tried it. I mashed all the grain together. I didn't get any green apple from this that I recall.

I also no spare biab

First tasting today. Been a week and a half in the bottle, so still young. Turned out pretty good. Still a little green and needs some time, but one of my better brews so far to date. Will end up on the brew again list.

Ok, tried another bottle today. Wow, this brew is really coming together nicely. Amazing what a little time in the bottle will do. Nice.

I've been wanting to find a good base to make a banana bread beer. I was considering using this base recipe but adding a few pounds of mashed bananas to the last 20 minutes of the boil, and then fermenting in the upper 70s with a hefe yeast to bring out the esters. Do y'all think this would be something tasty and interesting, or do you think it would just taste like a confusing mess?

I've been wanting to find a good base to make a banana bread beer. I was considering using this base recipe but adding a few pounds of mashed bananas to the last 20 minutes of the boil, and then fermenting in the upper 70s with a hefe yeast to bring out the esters. Do y'all think this would be something tasty and interesting, or do you think it would just taste like a confusing mess?

I'd say that you would need to eliminate the dry hops, and probably cut back else ware on the hops. I had banana bread beer once, not my thing. Certainly not something I'd try making 5 gal of. Maybe mess around with a 1 gal batch?

On a side note, this beer has become really, really good. Can't wait to make it again.

This came out really well. A very nice brown ale. My OG was a little low, due to my poor efficiency, but I'm happy with the way it came out. Can't wait to have another tonight and share with friends this weekend.

image.jpg

Any reason for the long primary rest on the yeast cake? Seems like it would be more beneficial to rack to secondary after you get close to FG.

Any reason for the long primary rest on the yeast cake? Seems like it would be more beneficial to rack to secondary after you get close to FG.

Racking to secondary would not be a "benefit" over letting it sit on the yeast cake for 2-3 weeks. Unless you're aging or adding something after fermentation, then secondary is a waste of time and just an added possibility of oxidation or infection. This discussion though is better suited to the thousands of secondary posts in the forum.

There's really no reason this beer needs more than 14 days in my opinion. I'm on day 11 of my fermentation and I'm at a stable final gravity. I'll be cold crashing and hen racking to a keg Wednesday.

Racking to secondary would not be a "benefit" over letting it sit on the yeast cake for 2-3 weeks. Unless you're aging or adding something after fermentation, then secondary is a waste of time and just an added possibility of oxidation or infection. This discussion though is better suited to the thousands of secondary posts in the forum.

There's really no reason this beer needs more than 14 days in my opinion. I'm on day 11 of my fermentation and I'm at a stable final gravity. I'll be cold crashing and hen racking to a keg Wednesday.

10-14 days sounds perfect, at least in my experience with Browns. I'm going to give this a whirl weekend after this coming and submit it to a Topeka comp on 10/29. Should be plenty of time to ferment, bottle and condition.

I changed it a little bit, but followed the grain bill except used all Maris Otter instead of 2-Row/Maris blend. I also bittered with a little Chinook and did kettle additions all with Cascade. Finishing now with a Cascade dry hop. I aimed for 35 IBU's and the sample tasted great.

Giving this recipe a try this weekend as the first time brewing with my own equipment.

Back