Group Buy in Chicago #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's important that all participants keep up with the buy.

Maybe each participant should deposit $20 for access to the order portal, to be applied to their order but forfeited if they dissapear at payment time.

Maybe each participant should deposit $20 for access to the order portal, to be applied to their order but forfeited if they dissapear at payment time.

HBT rules might not allow something like that. However, during the next GB, we can have all the steps laid out in the first post. From the start to the finish and remind folks to periodically check the thread once they have finalized their order to keep track of the buy. There is also an FAQ that could be put together about the Chicago GBs that Bill runs so people can first go there with common questions. I think the next GB might be a hops buy, so we could put together some stuff before then. Just some thoughts.

bmason1623 said:
Good idea I think. Thoughts?

Maybe set the deadlines in the first post. Set the closing date, and set a payment deadline. Everyone will know approximately when to start checking the spreadsheet for their total, and when they need to have payment completed, and they know it all before they order. We're all doing this electronically, probably a fair portion have email and paypal in their pocket. Then, IF there needs to be updates or changes to the schedule, you can make them in the first post.

Maybe set the deadlines in the first post. Set the closing date, and set a payment deadline. Everyone will know approximately when to start checking the spreadsheet for their total, and when they need to have payment completed, and they know it all before they order. We're all doing this electronically, probably a fair portion have email and paypal in their pocket. Then, IF there needs to be updates or changes to the schedule, you can make them in the first post.

The problem with deadlines is that they're dynamic. This buy filled up pretty quickly so we decided to cut it off sooner than we had originally anticipated. Maybe in future revisions of the database, it will have the ability to track who has paid and who hasn't. Then fire off reminder emails on those who haven't paid. I also want it to track those who who are slow responding or just "blow off" the buy and ignore everything altogether so they can be banned from future buys. Yes, there will be future group buys in Chicago. No, please don't ask for details.

We could pay at the time of order. You could estimate the cost of shipping and if we are short we could make a second round of payments.

If we assume a payment cut off of Monday or Tuesday, what's the epa for pick up?

If we assume a payment cut off of Monday or Tuesday, what's the epa for pick up?

Considering that I am still waiting a large transaction from PayPal to my bank account to clear, I don't know. Besides, there are still a few people who have yet to pay. I'll know better later on in the week.

Problem solved!

Thanks again! Everyone thought it was pretty amazing that we were able to come up with a specialized piece of equipment 5 mins from my buddies house on a Saturday night. Then i told them the grain buy size. Quite a cool little network.

Thanks ylPaul, Bill, THirstT, & johns!

My buddy has a sanke kegerator... Cough Sixtel buy cough cough!

Thanks again! Everyone thought it was pretty amazing that we were able to come up with a specialized piece of equipment 5 mins from my buddies house on a Saturday night. Then i told them the grain buy size. Quite a cool little network.

If only everything else in life worked itself out this smoothly...

starman said:

The best part of the whole thing is that Starman brought me a KBS and his KBS clone! Both were totally unnecessary but appreciated, and after several people had tested both the overwhelming opinion was that Starman's clone was the clear winner. If I may be so bold as to ask is there any chance I could get your recipe?

There are three people who I have not heard from at all regarding payment. I have sent them emails yet again. I'll decide at the end of today whether we should drop their orders.

All of them have substantial number of splits and they are messing orders for a lot of ppl

All of them have substantial number of splits and they are messing orders for a lot of ppl

homebrewfrank has made arrangements with me to pay in a couple of days. The rest of those people I have not heard from.

There are three people who I have not heard from at all regarding payment. I have sent them emails yet again. I'll decide at the end of today whether we should drop their orders.

Ok, how many of us just looked at the spreadsheet to see if there was anything worth grabbing???:D

The best part of the whole thing is that Starman brought me a KBS and his KBS clone! Both were totally unnecessary but appreciated, and after several people had tested both the overwhelming opinion was that Starman's clone was the clear winner. If I may be so bold as to ask is there any chance I could get your recipe?

Awesome, glad they liked it. The base recipe was from HBT with a few tweaks - a cold brew coffee and diy roasted cacao nibs post-active. I'll post more later.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/fo...11-hbt-competition-category-21-winner-239212/

One guy backed out and this is what we have left of his stuff. Anybody want to claim it?

2 full sacks Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt
1 full sack Bairds Malt Maris Otter
1/2 sack Briess Caramel Munich 60L

One guy backed out and this is what we have left of his stuff. Anybody want to claim it?

Since the Caramel Munich 60L is my other half of the split I'll take it if there are no other takers.

OK, I think we can drop the other two full sacks if there are no other takers. Bill will be updating the spreadsheet so you can pay him.

ghoti said:

Alright, alright, I'll take the M. O., and the Caramel Munich....

Out of all the people that bought into this GB there is bound to be a few defectors. but overall I think the percentage has been exceptionly low

Out of all the people that bought into this GB there is bound to be a few defectors. but overall I think the percentage has been exceptionly low

I just find it absolutely annoying when those who have not paid never respond to your messages. It really messes up these large buys.

you know that they say in baseball.....3 strikes and your out. if they dont respond my the 3rd email then maybe its time to move on,,,,,,for now or the next time.

bmason1623 said:
I just find it absolutely annoying when those who have not paid never respond to your messages. It really messes up these large buys.

That does suck. Good thing it's not too many. Maybe have splits prepay when the split is filled (minus shipping)? Late splits will be aware of the risk of not filling, early filled splits will be financially safe... It sounds easy to drop full sacks.

I thought there a deadbeat rule where anyone to not follow through gets banned from this and future buys, is that still in effect?

Yes. This one person in particular lives in Milwaukee and that's all I know about him. He never responded to my emails, hbt messages or even a facebook message that I sent him. And he ordered quite a bit of stuff including splits.

Even for the best intentioned people, invariably something will come up for someone. I'd like to see a mass email to brewers giving notice that payment is due followed by 72 hour window to pay or at minimum an email Bill. After that period, if there is still radio silence - splits go to the masses and sacks get dropped.

No splits for newbs....no splits for newbs.....

Maybe an simple policy of no splits within the order mgmt. system until you've participated at least once successfully as a way of vetting the ill intended...not saying that's the case..

Maybe an simple policy of no splits within the order mgmt. system until you've participated at least once successfully as a way of vetting the ill intended...not saying that's the case..

2nd, I'm always amazed that 97% can pay and do what we are suposto. I think brewers are good people.

Well, all's well that ends well. Some of us got a second bite at the apple and all splits seem to have been filled. I hope nothing tragic caused the few guys to pull out. Can't wait to get the order. Looking forward to seeing you all at pick up.

Even for the best intentioned people, invariably something will come up for someone. I'd like to see a mass email to brewers giving notice that payment is due followed by 72 hour window to pay or at minimum an email Bill. After that period, if there is still radio silence - splits go to the masses and sacks get dropped.

I'm not in this GB or in the greater Chicago area, but have some experience with group efforts. I do participate in the MD GBs. Newbies are always a larger risk to bail or disappear. Some people tend to be very casual. Too casual!

Not sure if I interpret this right, but when you talk about "emails" I hope you mean an actual email to a valid email address, not the internal HBT "pm" system. Reason is, if someone doesn't check this board anymore, can't see, or ignores the pm flags, his pm-s remain unread/unanswered. Portable devices have different interfaces, and you never know what someone can or can't see.

starman said:

Agreed. Hopefully it's not the case, but if some catastrophic event happened, no amount of PM's or emails will get a response. Plus, many suggestions only make managing the buy more work. Maybe there are software solutions, but that requires time and effort too. I very much appreciate the volunteers who have made this a possibility for me, and if I can think of a way to make their job easier I will bring it up.

Managing the payment is a necessary evil. Managing splits is a bonus. Changing when it happens could make the overall duration of the buy shorter, but it still needs done.

Maybe the dashboard could feed some additional info to the spreadsheet. Are you willing to pick up the remainder of the split? In the case of splits less than half, ask how many additional shares you are willing to pick up. Splits with no volunteers get automatically dropped at closing. At least this way there is a focus on a group who is willing to complete the order, and the timeline can be optimized a bit.

no splits for newbs....no splits for newbs.....

Maybe an simple policy of no splits within the order mgmt. System until you've participated at least once successfully as a way of vetting the ill intended...not saying that's the case..

+1

I have to say that I disagree with this personally. This is my first time in the group buy, so I am a newb. I got a few splits, especially the hop splits, because honestly I don't need 11 pounds of any one hop, nor do I have the storage capacity for it. I paid quickly and in full. I also know that I some of those splits had not been available, I would have been less likely to participate. I know that isn't necessarily much of a loss, but I helped finish some grain splits and a hop split.

I'm more in favor of pre-payment on splits which was mentioned. That way there is protection on those splits early and it's easy to drop whole sacks of grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back