Munich Dunkel AG - chainsaw brewing "death by dunkel"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone made this recently? I want to make this if it is close to Warsteiner but the lack of comments makes me think its not that great of a recipe. Anyone that can give some feedback on this?

I haven't made it recently but I did make it right after I posted the first time in this thread which was like 4 years ago or so. This was my 2nd or 3rd all grain batch if I remember. It came out very good. Don't think it was a spot on clone but was very good and very close. Plus I was a brand new all grain brewer. It was close enough though. I'd recommend it.

MunichDunkel.jpg

I haven't made it recently but I did make it right after I posted the first time in this thread which was like 4 years ago or so. This was my 2nd or 3rd all grain batch if I remember. It came out very good. Don't think it was a spot on clone but was very good and very close. Plus I was a brand new all grain brewer. It was close enough though. I'd recommend it.

MunichDunkel.jpg

Thanks for posting that, I think I am going to try this out as it doesn't require lagering like true Dunkel's do.

More roasted flavors than Warsteiner. Warsteiner has more malt/sweetness (a tiny bit.)
May latest try is in the lagering tank til end of jan.

Nice to see this threat pop up again. I think I'll give this one a whirl after I get back from the upcoming bike rally. I love a good dunkel -this one lacking a lager period has me intrigued. 'Specially since my lagering keezer bit the dust.

I'm planning to try this one as my first AG.

Can you give any more details about making the starter? I've never made one before and it remains a bit of a mystery to me still.

Thanks

This is my first post however I have been reading these forums for a long time. Just had to post regarding this recipe. I just transferred to secondary today, only hit 1.011 for FG but the taste is amazing. Even flat out of the test tube I drank the whole thing! Thanks for this recipe I sure cant wait to keg it here in a few weeks! Oh on another note I used Kolsch II yeast.

I put a batch in the bucket last week. Giving it another week before bottling. Can't wait to try it! This was my second AG batch ever so I'm hoping it turns out.

You say ferment at 70 degrees?! That is outside the 58-64 optimal fermentation range
for the yeast. That is also the highest fermentation temperature for all of my ale recipes.
It may be outside the optimal temp range but according to Wyeast, 2565 Kölsch™ has a Temperature Range of 56-70° F (13-21° C)

Yes, it's at the high end but the OP and his friends seem to like it and that's OK for me to give this recipe a try before making any modifications for personal preferences.

WhiteCliffsBrewery said:
It may be outside the optimal temp range but according to Wyeast, 2565 Kölsch™ has a Temperature Range of 56-70° F (13-21° C)

Yes, it's at the high end but the OP and his friends seem to like it and that's OK for me to give this recipe a try before making any modifications for personal preferences.

The white labs kolsch recommends 65+. Given that this is meant to be a clean beer (lager) I would go with the kolsch at the lower temps. Well try this out next month.

It's near the top of my To Brew list but it keeps getting bumped for other ales. Mostly because I stockpile american and english ale ingredients in a way that would qualify me to be on Hoarders, but I don't have any of the requisite german stuff to brew this, such as Carafoam, Carafa, Hallertauer, or Tettnang. I should get off my butt, order them, and brew this, asap. At my house, we drink Warsteiner Dunkel like it's water.

I'm gonna try it....as is...I have a month to get some beer for an Oktoberfest...I tried a Dunkelweizen but it got wacked...need something German style quick turn around..3 weeks primary 1 week keg...

GOnna brew it per your recipe except swap that last .25 oz of Tattanger for like 1/4oz of Willamette since I have them on hand and dont want to buy an oz, for just a 1/4....

I'm going to be brewing this one soon as well, probably after Labor Day I imagine. One thing to keep in mind, the Wyeast Kolsch yeast is a very powdery strain and doesn't flocculate all that well. Cold crashing for several days as well as some fermentor rocking will get it to drop out a lot quicker.

Gently rocking the fermenter from one side side to the other, in order to cause a little bit of liquid movement inside, which can be enough to break surface tension that might still be holding the kreusen up on top of the wort..

I brewed this Wednesday night, and today (Saturday) its down to 1.011 with no krausen and limited airlock activity! Has anyone else seen it ferment this quick? I did my best to keep it cool but I could only do 70 during fermentation. It's at 68 now. Sample tastes great. Not as fruity as I expected from the higher temps.

Brewed this today.....added some flaked wheat to the mash just because I had some (1/2 pound)....also used Williemtte for he final hop addition since it was only a 1/4 oz.

OG was 1..060 pretty stoked about the that! (means my efficiency was about 80-85% )

pH of mash was right at 5.8....

Hit all the numbers I was looking for....pitched White Lab German Ale/Kolsh Yeast @ 68* Fermenting at 68*

Hoping this turns out great to take to an Oktoberfest in early October

Brewed back on 08/26...took my first hydro readings last night since the kraeusen had fallen....Down to 1.030....beer is clearing but still kinda cloudy...gonna let it sit for another week, should get down to the estimated 1.015....

But damn was the hydro sample tasty.

Just did some reading about White Lab German Ale/Kolsh Yeast (what I used) and I think I'm fermenting to cold. When I took the temp on my hydro sample it was 59* need to get up back up to ~65 to finish out I think.

I have been just priming my kegs with Dextrose and lettting them sit for 2 weeks....

But when I force carb I go 30psi for 36 hours, then down to serving (10psi)....takes about 5 days to be perfect.

Mashed in on this one... had to tweak the recipe a little bit due to what I had on hand... Only had 2.75# of Munich left, and instead of using the german hops, I substituted Liberty 3%AA - 1.5oz, 0.5, 0.5 respectively. Also I don't have Kolsch yeast on hand but I have a big washed jug of Wyeast 1010 American Wheat that I think will sub nicely. 3 more weeks till I get to drink this.... :)

Back