Farm milk not curdling mozz fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manicmethod

Reaction score
I used a gallon of whole milk and a pint of heavy cream from my milk delivery service (south mountain creamery). It was labeled as pasteurized and homogenized.

I put 1.5tsp citric acid and 1/4 a veg. rennet tablet in and waited a couple hours and it still wasn't thick enough to cut. I saw another recipe that used 2 tsp citric, 1/2 a rennet tab and 1 tsp calcium chloride so I added the additional amounts and have waited another hour and it still hasn't done anything.

I think I got it a little too warm at first (around 95), I accidentally used my thermometer that reads low. It has been another hour at 91.

I'm pretty sure the milk isn't ultrapasteurized from the creamery so what else could be the problem?

I wonder if your milk was "ultra pasteurized". If it was it'll never set a curd. I know you said you don't think it is- but I can't think of any other reason for it not to form a curd. I've had mixed results with the fast mozzarella recipe with citric acid, though. Some excellent, and some never set a curd even with regular pasteurized milk.

try another milk provider

it seems as though it had to have been ultra-pasteurized OR you used chlorinated water when mixing your rennet

both result in failure

even poor quality past-homogenized milk works for my mozz

The acid alone should curdle the milk, and I'd echo the sentiment that you need to use water with no chlorine in order to dissolve your acid and rennet. Grab a small bottle from the grocery store if you're unsure.

Back