inexpensive solution for taps on my kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartin73

Reaction score
I've had the fridge for a few months and have been using it to hold my corny keg and using my picnic tap. One of my buddies stopped brewing and gave me 3 kegs (SCORE!). I was able to get a good 4-way CO2 distributor from my LHBS and while I was picked up all the keg connectors, etc., and 3 more picnic taps. We are having friends over this week and have 3 beers (plus hard lemonade) waiting to go. I wanted a way for people to get their own beer without having to keep opening the door to the fridge to grab the picnic taps and have them near any of the lines, especially when they've had a couple of brews. My wife has been great, this new hobby/obsession but spending more money on good taps isn't something I can do right now. I needed another solution

I'm an IT geek, a software guy at heart. Hardware/construction/building stuff isn't usually my thing but we all have those moments when you've got to do what you've got to do. I had a 24" long piece of maple given to me which I stained, measured, and drilled holes in the front matching the size of the picnic taps. I grabbed my dremel and sanded down the back side (so there would be some extra room for the worm clamps). I then drilled a hole in that small bottom plastic piece on front of the picnic taps so I could screw them to the wood.

I then drilled the holes in the front of the fridge to run the lines. I planned ahead (i hope) and drilled 1" holes in the front, knowing that eventually I want to upgrade to real taps. my concerns were/are keeping the lines cold in the door and not letting cold air out of the fridge. I picked up a 6ft piece of pipe insulation ($1.50), wrapped the lines and fed everything through the holes. I was thinking of grabbing some foam insulation spray stuff and really seal it well (but don't want to screw things up when IU make the switch to real taps-thoughts/ideas here?)

Once the lines where in, I connected the lines to the barbs, attached the worm clamps (paying attention to how they could fit into the holes - so the wood sits flush) and carefully fed it the excess back through the holes in the fridge (have to be careful here, the insulation wants to come out). This was kind of a pain but once I got it, the wood sat flush on the front. I haven't yet but plan on securing the wood to the front of the fridge with some screws - not sure I have to, it's definitely snug.

So here is the mighty reveal, the only extra cost was the drill bit and the pipe insulation, total was $12. I would of had to buy the rest of it anyway (the picnic taps, lines, worm clamps, etc.)

kegerator1.JPG

I know I made some mistakes but overall I think it looks good, fits within the budget, and it works (somehow).

cheers :mug:

Back