The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is your dough recipe? You may have posted it, but I don't really want to go through all of the posts in the thread. Looks really good. Makes me very hungry.

This was my twist on Peter Reinharts N.Y. style recipe. IIRC it went something like this.
Hi gluten flour; 322 grams
water 200 g
IDY .5 t
salt .5T
o. oil .5T
honey 2 t

Mix to incorporate all the ingredients, a couple stretch and folds and ferment in the fridge for 2 days.

Any tips ?

Take at look at my last post with pics. I thought the Neo pizza was a bit too scorched on the bottom. I think its probably a combo of too much time in oven (none over 90 sec), and possibly flour from the peel and from shaping the dough. How do you get the beautiful leoparding on the crust?

TD

Just about ready to heat the oven...

imag1346-60486.jpg

Lucerne mozz...veto that :)

Looking at your toppings, a thought crossed my mind, hit up the salad bar at the grocery store and you could get all of that (less basil) for a small fraction the cost of buying it individually.

Any tips ?

Take at look at my last post with pics. I thought the Neo pizza was a bit too scorched on the bottom. I think its probably a combo of too much time in oven (none over 90 sec), and possibly flour from the peel and from shaping the dough. How do you get the beautiful leoparding on the crust?

TD

The hotter the better is how I get the best results. I turn my oven to the highest possible setting on bake which is towards the end of the broil on the temp dial so I guess I'm getting upwards of 600 degrees...I figure if I could get hotter it would be all the better; but, I'm getting excellent results as is. Anyway, for that temp it takes me 4 minutes to cook a pie, I'm surprised you can cook a pizza in 90 seconds, is that a typo or do you have an oven that gets well hotter than the 600's? I also use as wet a dough as I can still work with (I literally pour it onto the counter from the mixer and then hand work flour into it just to the point it won't stick readily to my hands but I still have to be very careful not to let it sit on the dusted peel too long or it will start to stick and I will get the ever so wonderful event of the pizza inverting itself on the stone then all the fire detectors start wailing, I start swearing, and boo) which might aid in the top and bottom finishing at the same time.

Lucerne mozz...veto that :)

Looking at your toppings, a thought crossed my mind, hit up the salad bar at the grocery store and you could get all of that (less basil) for a small fraction the cost of buying it individually.

That's spinach, not basil, and my grocery store doesn't have a salad bar. :eek:

The hotter the better is how I get the best results. I turn my oven to the highest possible setting on bake which is towards the end of the broil on the temp dial so I guess I'm getting upwards of 600 degrees...I figure if I could get hotter it would be all the better; but, I'm getting excellent results as is. Anyway, for that temp it takes me 4 minutes to cook a pie, I'm surprised you can cook a pizza in 90 seconds, is that a typo or do you have an oven that gets well hotter than the 600's? I also use as wet a dough as I can still work with (I literally pour it onto the counter from the mixer and then hand work flour into it just to the point it won't stick readily to my hands but I still have to be very careful not to let it sit on the dusted peel too long or it will start to stick and I will get the ever so wonderful event of the pizza inverting itself on the stone then all the fire detectors start wailing, I start swearing, and boo) which might aid in the top and bottom finishing at the same time.

So where do you put the stone in the oven? Top, bottom, or center?

I'm sure this is blasphemy, but due to my better half's diet, she can only have whole wheat flour. Does someone have a good whole wheat pizza dough recipe that I could try?

I'm sure this is blasphemy, but due to my better half's diet, she can only have whole wheat flour. Does someone have a good whole wheat pizza dough recipe that I could try?

Whole wheat will work, it just ends up denser because it doesn't rise as much.

The one I made, I used my usual "eyeball it" method of mixing :)

Chuginator said:

Montana Wheat has some whole wheat flours. An employee of mine gave some to me in exchange for SDcultures. I made some pizzas and thought the texture was very nice. I think there is a soft white wheat, but I don't know the specific name. I thought it made great pizza crust for being whole wheat. I thought it would be terrible, but we all liked it of those folks who ate it.l

TD

Wonder if you could lighten it up using some whole wheat pastry flour...

Good idea, here try this one...

HONEY-WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH
2 tsp yeast
1 cup, plus 2 Tbsp warm water
2 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
10 tsp clover honey
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

This is the recipe for CPK's honey wheat crust. I've been wanting to try it since we ate there a couple of weeks ago but haven't gotten around to it yet. If it turns out anything like the pie we had there it'll be fantastic!

You can make this all wheat I'm sure but as Cheezy says it'll be more dense unless you use a starter and longer rises. I think Chshre's idea might really help lighten it up some too if you do decide to go all wheat. You might also try some rice flour or something similar with the wheat.

:mug:

I love wheat crust, wheat tortillas, etc.

The fascination of americans with "bleached" white is crazy. White bread (supermarket garden variety ballon bread) is the worst thing you could do to a good sandwich.

Let me just ask....Has everyone prosted this thread? It is a monster, but I would not say bloated (and NO I did not start it, Headbanger did....long story;)).

cheezydemon3 said:
Let me just ask....Has everyone prosted this thread? It is a monster, but I would not say bloated (and NO I did not start it, Headbanger did....long story;)).

I use the iPad HBT app for most of my forum surfing, and I don't think it lets me do Prosting, or "Likes".

Well, Daddy always said I'd never be no rocket surgeon and I guess that's true because I don't even know what prost means, let alone how to do it. :drunk:

I have been taking the easy route on pizza for too long lately using boboli crusts. They aren't bad, but its time to start making my own dough instead.

I figured out one of my favorite pizzas recently, mozzerella, basil and salami. Nothing else. So good. Will post back once I make my own crust next time.

I second the Wheat Montana flours. A lot of hard core bakers swear by by King Arthur Flour and Wheat Montana is right on par with them but I prefer it because its semi-local for me ;) (opposite end of the state but still Made in Montana, and if you've ever had Roughstock Montana whiskey they actually buy their malts and grain from Wheat Montana)

I second the Wheat Montana flours. A lot of hard core bakers swear by by King Arthur Flour and Wheat Montana is right on par with them but I prefer it because its semi-local for me ;) (opposite end of the state but still Made in Montana, and if you've ever had Roughstock Montana whiskey they actually buy their malts and grain from Wheat Montana)

Hmm. I'd never heard of the before. When I did my pizza oven, I mentioned it at work, and one of the gals there mentioned she had built their wood fired oven from scratch! She started talking about stuff and it was clear she knew how to bake. I am a terrible baker. Anyway, as I researched pizza making and what not, I ended up with a bunch of starter cultures. So here I am with tons of starters, so I bring some to her. she was very appreciative. A week or so later she brought me about 8 pounds of flour or so from Montana Flour. One said SOft White Wheat. I think she mills her own even, and adds spelt berries (but not in the stuff she gave me). The other was that golden stuff. I ran out of flour one day and was making pizza. TO be honest, that dough was really tasty. only slightly more chewy than the AP flour dough. Anyway, now I use All Trumps and Caputo.

TD

I have been taking the easy route on pizza for too long lately using boboli crusts. They aren't bad, but its time to start making my own dough instead.

I figured out one of my favorite pizzas recently, mozzerella, basil and salami. Nothing else. So good. Will post back once I make my own crust next time.

Like your sig! Keep it up!

Check out the Lehmann Pizza Dough Calculator. google it. Bread Flour, digital scale, Pizza goodness!

TD

Well, Daddy always said I'd never be no rocket surgeon and I guess that's true because I don't even know what prost means, let alone how to do it. :drunk:

Or perhaps that train has sailed....does the button disapear after you prost a thread? I no longer see it.

I want to get back on this. I started making a lot, but then my weight started climbing and I quit my homemade pizzas cold turkey, but I miss them so much.

Are you pre-baking the dough and then adding the cheese and other toppings? I thought meat went below the cheese for Detroit style. Been trying to read up on it as I'm from Michigan, though can't say as I ever had "detroit" style before. The dough, and cheese crust look awesome!

and by the way, where do you get the pans?

TD

Are you pre-baking the dough and then adding the cheese and other toppings? I thought meat went below the cheese for Detroit style. Been trying to read up on it as I'm from Michigan, though can't say as I ever had "detroit" style before. The dough, and cheese crust look awesome!

TD

First, I must confess that my friend, Norma, gave me the dough on Tuesday and I just now baked them up. I put the cheese on first, then baked. With maybe three minutes to go, I added the pepperoni. The sauce went on when they came out.
Some put the meat under the cheese and some put the sauce on before baking. I like saucing after so as not to impede the oven spring with a heavy sauce, lest it get soggy in the middle.

Back