Converted pin lock or normal ball lock kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
It has come down to this, the price is virtually the same $105/$106 delivered for two five gallon kegs. The difference is one is a Pepsi keg and the other converted Coke kegs to ball lock. The major difference is the converted kegs have new connectors obviously and the o-rings are new all around, but no pressure valve on the lids and they are the shorter wider pin lock type keg. The Pepsi kegs are just as obviously different in that they are the normal ball lock size and have pressure relief valves, BUT have not been refurbed with new rings, etc. Official descriptions below, if you have an opinion as to which you'd prefer, please share.

Converted: These kegs are converted Firestone pin lock Cornelius style kegs. The standard pin lock connections are replaced with the new ball lock conversion fittings. These posts are stainless steel and include our new stainless steel universal poppet. These posts accept all standard ball lock connectors.

Please note: There are two differences between our converted ball lock keg and a standard “Pepsi” style ball lock keg. Our converted kegs are 2” shorter and 1” larger in diameter and they have a static relief valve not the manual pull ring valve. Functionally they are exactly the same and accept all ball lock connections.

All Converted ball lock kegs have been washed, rinsed, pressure checked, all o-rings have been replaced and the pin lock fittings are replaced with the new ball lock fitting. Ball Lock Specs:

Height: 22 - 23"
Height With Ball Lock Connectors: 23- 24"
Weight: 10 lbs
Diameter: 9"
Capacity: 5 gallon
Tank: Stainless Steel
Connection: Ball lock quick disconnect
Base/Top: Molded Rubber
Lid: Static Relief Valve or flat type /No Pull Ring

Your corny keg is shipped in its own box. We ship them UPS and the weight is approximately 25 lbs. The corny kegs are de-pressurized for shipment.

Pepsi: Used Ball Lock Kegs - Class 1

Made of stainless steel with dual rubber handles. Cleaned, pressure checked and delabeled. O-rings are only replaced during pressure check if necessary. *****PLEASE NOTE***** Even though this is a class 1 keg it is still used. Therefore it will have some blemishes and signs of use. Also, the pressure check we perform does not guarantee that it will hold pressure when it arrives. Transport can dry and/or tussle the o-ring seals causing leaks. If you prefer new o-rings you should order them on the parts page and they will ship with your keg. These kegs partied previously only with beverage applications. Some variation is likely. Measures 8.5" diameter x 25" tall.

IMO, it's 6s. Pick the style that best fits your system, particularly as it relates to space/dimensions.

I think it mostly depends on whether floor space or height is the main limiting factor in someone's system. For my keezer I can fit 4 ball lock kegs, but would only be able to fit 3 converted pin locks. For the antique mini-fridge kegerator I made for my friend, the ball locks are too tall, and converted pin locks just barely fit.

Back