Official Dixie Cup 2007 Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Ok, who's going? I'm there. Hotel is booked already and so is the keg of what will be 6 month old Apfelwein. :D

October 19th & 20th, Houston, Texas

http://www.crunchyfrog.net/dixiecup/

What is the Dixie Cup?

The Dixie Cup is one of the nation’s oldest homebrewing competitions and is noted for its great mix of irreverent fun as well as its seriousness about beer. Over the course of the two days of formal activities, there will be opportunities to learn about beer and brewing from many of the nation’s finest homebrewers, professional brewers, noted brewing authors, and industry experts.
One way in which we have fun is with one special beer category each year. You won’t generally find these categories anywhere in the BJCP guidelines. Past styles have included 80/80, Clone Wars, Two-Style Texas Hold ’em, Beer that gets you Lei’d, Monster Mash, The Beer that Burns Twice, Imperial Beer, Big and Stupid, Hoppiest Beer, Malt Liquor (in a large bottle and presented to the judges in a brown paper bag), and Breakfast Cereal Beer.
This year’s special beer category is something we call Gruit Ain’t Moot. But that’s not all. We’re also adding a second special category in honor of one of Houston’s beer pioneers, Ken Rich, with It’s Just Beer.
Although we have as much fun as possible at the Dixie Cup, the competition is the most important aspect of the event and we take it very seriously. We draw a nationwide pool of judging talent with numerous BJCP Master and National judges and brewing professionals in addition to the large number of BJCP Certified and Recognized judges.
The Dixie Cup is one of the final Qualifying Events for the Masters Championship of Amateur Brewing and is the final competition in the series that determines the Lone Star Circuit Homebrewer of the Year, the Lone Star Circuit Homebrew Team of the Year, and the Lone Star Circuit Homebrew Club of the Year.
We pride ourselves on not charging for every event at the Dixie Cup and keeping the prices affordable. A modest registration fee to the Dixie Cup covers the Friday night potluck supper, the legendary “Fred Tasting” featuring noted beer critic Fred Eckhardt, the Saturday seminars, and plenty of quality beers from across the United States. The only event not covered in the general admission fee is the pub crawl. With a discounted rate from the hotel and the minimal costs for the events, you will not break the bank when you come to the Dixie Cup.

Dixie Cup Hotel Information

We have reserved a block of rooms for the Dixie Cup at the Crown Plaza Hotel, Northwest-Brookhollow, located at 12801 Northwest Freeway (US-290 and Pinemont). These rooms are available at the discounted rate of $69 per night and are available until 3 PM on September 29 or when the block of rooms is sold out, whichever occurs first. Make your reservations early. After September 29, rooms may be available, but there is no guarantee.
The hotel has filled up for the past several years, leaving people who waited until after the deadline without a room. Don’t be left without a room, make your reservations early.
Call the hotel directly at 713-462-9977 and mention Dixie Cup to get the discounted rate. You can also call the Crown Plaza national reservations number at 877-227-6963, or use the hotel’s web site, but you may not get the best rates through the national reservations service.

Anyone mind taking a quick note of any Lubbock Ale-Ian Society brewers that win any awards for me? I'd sure appreciate it and others in the club who might be winners would like it too!! Maybe just a note of the name and award?

Any takers???

The award ceremony didn't finish till 1:30 AM this morning. Sadly, my entries didn't place, but I did stay at a holiday inn (actually crown plaza) :).

It was great fun, did a bunch of judging myself and enjoyed way too much mead & barley wine. :D

I hope for better luck next year!

Back