Dumb Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinCuff

Reaction score
I have looked and so far have found no definitive answer. I am starting to brew and I am just doing extract for now. So is a 5 gallon kettle big enough for the 5 gallon batch?

KevinCuff said:
I have looked and so far have found no definitive answer. I am starting to brew and I am just doing extract for now. So is a 5 gallon kettle big enough for the 5 gallon batch?

A 5 gallon kettle is fine for a partial boil (say about 3 to 3 1/2 gallons) then you top off with cool water after you put the cooled wort in your fermenter. If you want to do a full boil (5 1/2 to 6 gallons), I would go to a 7 1/2 or 8 gallon kettle. I use a 7 1/2 gallon kettle to do full boils. What you want is a kettle with enough room for you to be able to get a good boil in, and to better control boil overs. With what you have, a partial boil would be highly recommended. Later, when you see that you want to continue brewing, you'll definately want to move to a bigger kettle and do full boils. Hope this helps.

Back