American Pale Ale Nierra Sevada (Session SNPA Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok folks, only made it through half of the posts. I am thinking about trying this for my first 10 gallon batch (10 gallon cooler and 15 gallon blichman kettle.) Question I have is, I have 5 gallons of cream of three crops in the fridge cold crashing. I need to keg that, but can I split the trub/yeast into two and pitch that into the new batches? Or just pitch new yeast? I have dry 04, 05 and notty.

What yeast did you use for the cream ale?

You can certainly split up the yeast cake. Use mr.malty to guesstimate the amount you should pitch into each fermenter.

So I brewed my first 10 gallon batch and used the beer smith version. I need to remind myself not to start brewing Sunday afternoon, but I had a honey to do list that I had, oh well. To get it to boil took forever as well as the chilling. But now I have two carboys of glorious beer to be. I used 05 on one and 04 on the other (dry). Should I leave well enough alone, or dry hop? And if so, any suggestions, considering what yeasts I used? By the way, first tI'm using 04 and it was kicking but 18 hours post pitch, 05 has started, but way behind the 04.

So I brewed my first 10 gallon batch and used the beer smith version. I need to remind myself not to start brewing Sunday afternoon, but I had a honey to do list that I had, oh well. To get it to boil took forever as well as the chilling. But now I have two carboys of glorious beer to be. I used 05 on one and 04 on the other (dry). Should I leave well enough alone, or dry hop? And if so, any suggestions, considering what yeasts I used? By the way, first tI'm using 04 and it was kicking but 18 hours post pitch, 05 has started, but way behind the 04.

I never posted it in this thread, but I Dryhopped my s-05 batch with 1 oz cascade for 7 days. It was outstanding.

Just tasted a hydro sample today prior to dry hopping and this is going to be a fantastic beer!

Dry hopped with an ounce of Cascade and I plan on bottling on Sunday!

So does anyone think this is doable? I dry hopped Saturday morning and placed in fridge this morning (tues.) I plan on adding gelatin tomorrow morning (weds) and transferring to a keg Thursday night and putting it on 30 psi for 24 or 36 hours in order to take to a party Saturday afternoon. Thoughts? I would rather not rush things but poor planning on my part. Luckily I have another 5 gallons to do it right.

So does anyone think this is doable? I dry hopped Saturday morning and placed in fridge this morning (tues.) I plan on adding gelatin tomorrow morning (weds) and transferring to a keg Thursday night and putting it on 30 psi for 24 or 36 hours in order to take to a party Saturday afternoon. Thoughts? I would rather not rush things but poor planning on my part. Luckily I have another 5 gallons to do it right.

It should be fine.

Im brewing this batch and have a question (likely mistake)

In beersmith, do I need to adjust the mash water/grain ratio? im doing BIAB and scaled the beer from this 10G recipe to a 3.5G recipe; however beersmith showed a 3.6 (?!) qt/lb ratio. I saw this when it was too late, after I had added my water (21 qts for <6 lbs of grain).

My question is, do I need to adjust that ratio? This is my 3rd time using the software and before it automatically got me into a reasonable ratio (2qts/lb or under).

If you used Beer Smith BIAB mash profile you should be fine unless you are doing some sort of spage step.

Sampling a young glass of this recipe today, and WOW. I'm going to make this my house ale. I didn't have pearle so I used hallertauer, which has 50% less AA. Problem/happy accident is I doubled the Hallertauer addition (ie. 4oz @ 3% AA) but i forgot to account for the fact that the recipe was for 10 gallons, not 5 like I was brewing. I didn't half the recipe ONLY on the 60min hops addition for some reason. The result is a quite firmly hopped ~5% amber/pale ale. Not sure if this keg will survive through full carbonation...very nice, even almost flat!

So, a week later I'm convinced to ALWAYS have a batch of this beer. It's carbonated nicely now, and MY GOD it's good. The first beer I've made that I would actually want to pay for, and even the SWMBO thinks it's good! This is what it looks like:

Happy Accident NSPA double hopped.jpg

I Did this beer before with great reviews from family and friends. It is on my short list to do again real soon. Agreed on making this my house pale ale, cheers!!

Mandarina Bavaria would definitely change this beer from it's original profile.
But I bet it would end up being a nice beer.

I made this last weekend and had nothing but problems. First i forgot to reduce the carpils/carmel malt by half because i was making a 5 gallon batch. i remembered when i was doughing in the grains into the strike water. I was so concerned about that that when i remembered to take a mash temp later (not sure how long but it wasn't early in the mash) I realized that the mash temp was 160 F. The OG was about right so we'll see what the FG is like. I'm hoping the thermometer was incorrect and it actually was lower than 160. This might turn out to be a bock like or highly hopped amber.

I just bottled a batch of this on the weekend. When I brewed I used what hops I had in the freezer. 1/2 oz of Mosaic for bittering. I also added 2 additional oz of cascade food whirlpool. It was crystal clear after 2 weeks and I know it will only be better once it's carbonated.

I'll be making this one again for sure.

I have bottles carbonating now with my Sierra Nevada
I used 5grams of Magnum hops at 60 mins. It's what Sierra Nevada uses in there pale ale.
I've got a Sierra Nevada old chico brewing now.

I used 5grams of Magnum hops at 60 mins. It's what Sierra Nevada uses in there pale ale.

Its nice to use the exact hops as SN, but getting the exact bittering hops the same is not all that important as long as you get the AA%/IBU in the ballpark. Nearly all the flavor gets boiled away on the 60 min addition.

Personally I use Magnum to bitter 90% of my beers.

Its nice to use the exact hops as SN, but getting the exact bittering hops the same is not all that important as long as you get the AA%/IBU in the ballpark. Nearly all the flavor gets boiled away on the 60 min addition.

Personally I use Magnum to bitter 90% of my beers.

Just stating that I and Sierra Nevada uses Magnum. Not saying u have to. I made this batch for my buddy who drinks nothing but SNPA. Hes marrying my fiance and I so I made him and my 3 groomsmen a batch each for the night of. I opened my carb test bottle last night and wow, its dead on to my taste. Not fully carbed yet so a few more days I'll shoot him a bottle.

According to my BeerSmith conversion...yes, half the grain bill and then for hops:

1 Oz Pearl - 60 minutes
.5 Oz Cascade - 15 minutes
.5 Oz Cascade - 10 minutes
.5 Oz Cascade - 5 minutes

Should get you 31.2 IBU's

I have the capacity for 50 gallons, I just 10 times the recipe above?
thanks&#65281;

I kegged my version and think it could use some dry hopping. I have cascade, centennial, amarillo, simcoe, and warrior. Any recommendations? I feel you can't go wrong with cascade but I've never dry hopped the with the others.

Also, I'll be traveling with it next weekend so I don't want to deal with stirring up hop sediment (I won't have time to do a keg to keg transfer). Would a tea ball keep hop pellets from creating too many floaties? What about a hop tea instead of dry hopping?

I kegged my version and think it could use some dry hopping. I have cascade, centennial, amarillo, simcoe, and warrior. Any recommendations? I feel you can't go wrong with cascade but I've never dry hopped the with the others.

Also, I'll be traveling with it next weekend so I don't want to deal with stirring up hop sediment (I won't have time to do a keg to keg transfer). Would a tea ball keep hop pellets from creating too many floaties? What about a hop tea instead of dry hopping?

Amarillo is a fantastic dry hop. My go to for the milder PA's.:mug:

Man I was just talking about this recipe in another thread. Been way too long. I think next time I will do a double batch. Half according to recipe, and switch the dry hop on the other half.

I've made a few other SNPA clones and they were not real close. So this one is up. Before I brew, is the consensus now to dry hop?
I'm thinking of maybe splitting the dry hop with Cascade and Amarillo but don't want the Amarillo to change the profile much.
Would 2:1 Cascade/Amarillo work?

Brewed up a batch hoping this would be close to the commercial version I love. Unfortunately for me, it fell short. It's a good beer but it's not SNPA.

Only changes I made was to add a flame out hop addition and a Perle addition at 30 but it wasn't enough. Doesn't have that great bite that SNPA has.

Again it's a good starter recipe to tweak. Next time I may change the hops and added a good bittering charge and add all other hops at 10, 5 and FO.

Agreed, I've made it twice now as written with the exception of adding a 2 oz. cascade dryhop. I realize that this was not designed to be an exact clone, but mine doesn't really remind me of SNPA very much, if at all. However, it does make a very tasty beer, everyone who tries it comments on it. It's pretty much my house pale ale for now...

Hard to believe I haven't brewed in 2 years. Sadness! I am going to kickstart the habit again with a nice 10G batch of Nierra Sevada!

Back