The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don’t think about it around here because in the United States we have pretty good mosquito control. Worldwide, mosquitoes are among the deadliest animals out there, responsible for almost 1/2 million deaths annually from malaria alone. Zika, dengue fever, chikungunya, yellow fever, EEE round out the list.
All are deadly, all are mosquito borne and all are rampant throughout the world.

Slather on the Off, boys and girls. And plant flowers in your birdbath, standing water is mosquito breeding ground.

To answer your question about vaccinations, there are vaccinations for a lot of these. You can get a vaccination for yellow fever, you can get a vaccination for dengue. We don’t give them here because those diseases aren’t prevalent and giving unnecessary vaccinations and medications carry their own risks.

I don’t recommend vaccines for yellow fever or Dengue or a host of other things, unless you are traveling to an area where they are prevalent. If you are I absolutely recommend the vaccinations. For what it’s worth I’d get vaccinations if I went to any third world country. You know, all the warm ones we like to go to in the winter.

I am not your primary care provider and in fact none of you people know for certain that I really am a nurse practitioner, so my advice is worth what you paid for it. I’m just a guy on an Internet chat board. Talk to your own PCP/ travel clinic.

There's no vaccine for it. Come to think of it there's no vaccine for pretty much any mosquito-borne disease. Crap.

I met Jeff quite a few years back at a Masstoberfest. Jeff is a big guy - he surely had a couple inches over my 6' 4" height and a few pounds as well. I imagine before he was stricken he could kick some serious ass if he had a mind to. So seeing him wheelchair bound and battling neuro stuff was sobering AF. So sad...

I initially wrote "drunk guy" but edited it just in case the chief cook and bottle washer of the Massachusetts Board of Registration for Medicine happens to be a home brewer.

There's no vaccine for it. Come to think of it there's no vaccine for pretty much any mosquito-borne disease. Crap.

I met Jeff quite a few years back at a Masstoberfest. Jeff is a big guy - he surely had a couple inches over my 6' 4" height and a few pounds as well. I imagine before he was stricken he could kick some serious ass if he had a mind to. So seeing him wheelchair bound and battling neuro stuff was sobering AF. So sad...

I only knew Jeff for a few years. Its not like we were best friends or hung out a lot. His close friends were Cape and FW. They are the guys I feel bad for. He was their close friend What I have been able to do over the past few years is help his wife with connections and resources. It's what I do professionally and I was happy to do it for a family I know. I would not have talked about Jeff and his illness publicly except his wife has always been adamant, dare I say militant, regarding getting the word out about this dreadful disease, this often inadequate health care system and the devastating effects of a random gobsmack from hell on her and her children and how much she wanted Jeff to be the best he could be.

Did I just say I felt bad for Cape? What the hell is the ABV of this beer?

Down 45 pound since the start of the year, Trout Whisperer. A statistically insignificant amount, I know, but it sounds like a lot. Truly throwing pebbles off Mount Everest.

But just to keep in practice and to help get this thread back on track and stop it from sounding like the podcast I listen to on the way to work, "Puscast" an infectious disease doc talking shop... GFY.

Last edited:
That's right, I'll make beer and you fellers can get worked up about sports. Life goes on.

Been swimmin in the "endless pool" more lately, sure helps sleep at night to have actual workout, as opposed to just lumping stuff around all day.

Which is cold 8 months of the year. Almost all the good beaches are private, or only open to the up island towns, and the likes of me allowed only if working on them. The rest are crowded and often "dog littered". The inland salt ponds are full of jellyfish and slime from septic system eutrophication. (I know, sounds like paradise.)

I installed in basement 15 years ago. It is not fun, more like a tread mill, but it keeps my work injured back in shape and relatively out of pain like no other work out or therapy.

Well....we used to mow C Simon's lawn(s), never did meet the other guy.

Mostly rich has beens and rich has been wanabes in that crowd, from what little I see or care.

Painted a couple of shipping containers today. I only have 325ft of loose air hose, and they were around 400ft away. You can use good garden hose for air, but only low pressure, I was running around 45 PSI. Would not do that on vehicle or such, of course, because a little water in the air would mess paint up, but shipping containers, imitation CARC green, who cares.

Did not brew, but did sanitize my fermentors this morning. Trying to do both of them on brew day gets a bit much.

What's with the twiter feed? .....sometimes I worry about some of you.....

The simple fact that you have multiple shipping containers on your property on the Vineyard makes me like you more than every. Please tell me you painted them a color not officially approved by the neighborhood association nazis.

If i lived in an association, I guess probably could not have any(if they could see them)(did I mention my perimeter is planted with mixed species of evergreen bamboo on compost berms?). Most of them are olive drab, but one is grey with olive drab camo striping.

917CBF9C-374A-4437-82C2-283405DFD715.jpeg
I saw a guy I know this past weekend who strikes me as a never wear pink kind of guy. But as his shorts were slipping down his undies stayed up and they were a saturated shade of pink. So Dland you might say you are not a pink kind of guy, but deep down you might just like it. Try it you’ll like it.

Hoppyb, try not to project...I aint afraid of pink, what with all the my little ponies and crap like that been around here.

Nothin to be a scart of smurf, just another side of the same spectrum..better pink & blue than pink & green, still see some old f---s runnin around in pink shorts near the edgartown yacht club...talk about scary..

Not one of my colors, and if I wanted to be seen,... I'd wear safety green.

“Not one of my colors” is what you said... what I said is “you are not a pink kind of guy.” There’s nothing wrong with that, no need to get defensive. I’m not really sure if you realize that I am not one of the fellas... now please tell me more about the my little ponies and crap you have. ;).
I’m just dishing out a little crap... it’s better than talking sports, right? :tank:

Today anything is better than talking about sports (B's lost, Sox are still in suck mode :()

I really like that color - wouldn't call it pink though, too saturated for that.
Wouldn't have any problem wearing it, I have at least a couple of pink-ish shirts that I wear in the summer...

Cheers!

My window treatments are dark green aluminum slats, with a good amount of dust colored dust. I guess the dust is grey, which along with green, comprise some of my favorite hues.

Back