Weissbier Powderhouse White Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modernlifeisANDY

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP300
Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
See below.
whiteale.jpg

whiteale2.jpg

This beer follows most of the style guidelines for a traditional German hefe, save for the extra hop addition and the additional Munich malt. Aroma is citrusy, with a hint of banana. The beer pours cloudy, somewhere between a wit and a hefe, with a nice, fluffy head that fades into a thin ring that laces all the way down the glass. Taste is pretty spot on for a hefeweizen, with maybe just a hint of extra bitterness that I enjoy. Nice tingly carbonation adds to a smooth mouthfeel, and the white wheat (which I vastly prefer to red wheat) adds a nice smooth body to the beer. I called it an American Wheat for its deviation from style, but it's close enough in taste to Hefeweizen.

Powderhouse Brewery White Ale

4 lbs. White Wheat
4 lbs. German Pilsner
0.5 lbs. Munich
0.25 lbs. Rice Hulls

0.8oz Hallertauer (3% AA) 45 min.
0.4oz Hallertauer (3% AA) 20 min.

WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast. You can make a starter if you want, but I used a relatively fresh vial and had no problems taking this beer from 1.045 to about 1.011 at 68 degrees in my swamp cooler.

Mashed at 153 degrees for 60 minutes, batch sparged to 6.5g for the boil.

Comments welcome!

Back