4 weeks in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie3

Reaction score
Today my porter will be in primary for 3 weeks. I had planned on Bottling today but I caught a bad cold. If I don't bottle today it will have to sit another full week. From what I have read here this doesn't seem like it should really be an issue. I am just looking to double check with you guys, I don't want to screw up my first batch.

Today my porter will be in primary for 3 weeks. I had planned on Bottling today but I caught a bad cold. If I don't bottle today it will have to sit another full week. From what I have read here this doesn't seem like it should really be an issue. I am just looking to double check with you guys, I don't want to screw up my first batch.

I leave nearly all my beers a minimum 4 weeks in primary...So you're fine...

And it's probably better that you sneezing in the bottling bucket, anyway. :D

Get well soon.

:mug:

Thank you Revvy.....I figured as much but just wanted to be sure.:mug:

I left my last batch in my fermentor for 6 weeks (kid got sick, then I got sick, the I was out of town on business...). After that brew conditioned in the bottle for 3 weeks the beer turned out to be the best damned beer I've yet to make. I'm considering waiting 6 weeks for all my beers...though I know that'll never happen. I'm way to impatient.

Maybe someday I'll have enough stuff in the pipeline to develop that kind of patience, but now 2 weeks is pushing my limit pretty hard! (I will add right here that the beer I'm drinking tonight would have been a great one to leave in primary for another week or two which would have cleared this up a lot)

I have gaps in my pipeline if I can't get to brew, but I don't sacrifice good taste fro impatience....A low pipeline is an excuse to hit the beerstore....there's always some new beer that needs me to try it, some new style to consider brewing...or some old favorite that misses me....

I have gaps in my pipeline if I can't get to brew, but I don't sacrifice good taste fro impatience....A low pipeline is an excuse to hit the beerstore....there's always some new beer that needs me to try it, some new style to consider brewing...or some old favorite that misses me....
+1 I spent WAY too much in MI this weekend on beer. We dont get the good bells in IL or Stone :mad:

Did you pick up Bell's Hell Hath No Fury Belgian Strong Ale Limited release?

I posted my review of it last night in the Belgian Strong section of the commercial reviews....
No the SWMBO cut me off at $150 :cross:

But you should try Cabin Fever by New Holland :ban:

So I know, what is SWMBO? and my real question.... My beer has been fermenting for two weeks. There are still bubbles coming out of the fermenter but very very slowly. I was going to rack it to secondary when finished fermenting. So if there's stil bubbles coming out, should this be a nay on racking to secondary? What happens if I do this before it stops fermetning?

So I know, what is SWMBO? and my real question.... My beer has been fermenting for two weeks. There are still bubbles coming out of the fermenter but very very slowly. I was going to rack it to secondary when finished fermenting. So if there's stil bubbles coming out, should this be a nay on racking to secondary? What happens if I do this before it stops fermetning?

Read this...it'll tell you what you need to do....http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

ahh! I thank you for showing me this elegantly written information. Very true, I think sometimes I may be paranoid about something being wrong with my beer when there really is nothing to be worried about. I guess I should let the yeast do its own thing and check its gravity when it has finished. Thanks!

I have gaps in my pipeline if I can't get to brew, but I don't sacrifice good taste fro impatience....A low pipeline is an excuse to hit the beerstore...

Now this is starting to define my reality. To be honest, nothing I have made in the last year did not get better with more time.
So I'm trying to keep myself busy, still spend a lot of time in bars with "beer temptresses" and not dip into my private stash. BTW, did I mention the "beer temptresses" :mug:

I always heard that if you leave your beer in the primary after 3 weeks, the yeast starts to go bad.

So what is the longest you can leave it?

I always heard that if you leave your beer in the primary after 3 weeks, the yeast starts to go bad.

So what is the longest you can leave it?

This is one of the bogeymen that was put down a loooong time ago, but seems to resurface...

Autolosis is a bogeyman to the home brewer.

Most of us tend to go with what Palmer has to say, and what seems to be not noticed in the book.

Here's what Palmer has to say in How To Brew.

As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

Quite a few of us leave our beers in primary for up to a month. Which improves the beers.

The yeast have eaten most all of the easily fermentable sugars and now start to turn their attention elsewhere. The yeast start to work on the heavier sugars like maltotriose. Also, the yeast clean up some of the byproducts they produced during the fast-paced primary phase.

Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Personally I wouldn't stretch it beyond 6 weeks....

Back