First timer, Gravity Question/Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greggy

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

9 days ago I made the Honey Weizen kit from Midwest Supplies. The OG reading I got after pouring the wort into the 3 gallons spring water was 1.055. I used the Nottingham dry yeast, after starting it in luke warm water for 15 minutes. For 9 days, I only had a tiny bit of bubbling in the airlock. Today after taking a gravity reading, I got 1.000. Is something wrong? Should I re-pitch some more yeast?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

If the reading is 1.000 it is VERY done. usually beers end in the 1.010 to 1.014 range. It won't hurt to leave it a little to give the yeast some time to clean up after the party they just had but it is done fermenting. There is no need to add more yeast

Ok. The thing that made me wonder was the fact that I barely had any airlock activity. I sipped on the sample after taking the gravity and it was pretty tasty for warm, non-carb beer.

So the consensus is transfer to the Carboy? Also, this is a 5 gallon batch. Would it be a bad idea to put this in a 6 gal CB?

Thanks!

Greg

Greggy said:
Ok. The thing that made me wonder was the fact that I barely had any airlock activity. I sipped on the sample after taking the gravity and it was pretty tasty for warm, non-carb beer.

So the consensus is transfer to the Carboy? Also, this is a 5 gallon batch. Would it be a bad idea to put this in a 6 gal CB?

Thanks!

Greg

That's fine. Honestly, since it's a Weizen, I wouldn't even bother with a secondary. Just let it sit in the primary until you're ready to bottle.

rdwj said:
That's fine. Honestly, since it's a Weizen, I wouldn't even bother with a secondary. Just let it sit in the primary until you're ready to bottle.

I might just do that. Thanks everyone.

Greg

rdwj said:

just to round out the background theory, the secondary is for clearing. Since it is a Weizen, it is naturally cloudy so no clearing will help

The reason I asked if it's floating is because I don't think it's possible for your beer to read 1.000. I suggest adding more beer to it, so that it really is floating, so that you can get a true reading.

It doesn't really matter right now what the sg is anyway, since you're waiting before bottling. You can move it to a carboy if you want (if you need your primary for another batch), or you can leave it where it is for another two weeks or so.

YooperBrew said:
The reason I asked if it's floating is because I don't think it's possible for your beer to read 1.000. I suggest adding more beer to it, so that it really is floating, so that you can get a true reading.

It doesn't really matter right now what the sg is anyway, since you're waiting before bottling. You can move it to a carboy if you want (if you need your primary for another batch), or you can leave it where it is for another two weeks or so.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I had it in a testing cylinder and it was definitley floating.

Greg

Back