First 10gal Extract Q?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mully911

Reaction score
Hi All
Im getting back into brewing after 1yr off. Im brewing a Belgain wit Extract and was wondering your thoughts. I only pitched 1 vial of White Labs liquid yeast 550 for the whole 10 gal batch. Fermentation started in about 10hrs but Im wondering if I should of pitched more and why?:mug:
Brews!
Mully

How do I make a starter and why do I need to make one? Will this help for a more complete ferm or help start the lil beggers going?
Thanks
Mully

A starter is basically a mini batch of beer. A starter makes sure the yeast is alive, builds up the cell count and gets them up and ready for the task of fermenting an entire brew.

You can make a starter in a 1/2 gal growler jar or a flask. I use about a 1/2 cup of dry malt extract boiled in a quart of water until sanitized and then I chill it down and throw it in a sanitized jar with the yeast.

Brewsmith said:
A starter is basically a mini batch of beer. A starter makes sure the yeast is alive, builds up the cell count and gets them up and ready for the task of fermenting an entire brew.

You can make a starter in a 1/2 gal growler jar or a flask. I use about a 1/2 cup of dry malt extract boiled in a quart of water until sanitized and then I chill it down and throw it in a sanitized jar with the yeast.

And double that for a 10 gal batch. Make it about 24 hours before you want to brew

Ok
so boil 2liters of water with 1 cup DME,cool to 75°f ,add liquid yeast to sanitized bottle with air lock and let ferment over night.
Then do I dump the whole 2L of luquid into my 10gal wart?

If Im going to do this can I just use dry yeast with the same results?It's cheaper.

Thanks
Mike

Back