In a pickle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Okay, I just soaked my mashtun fittings in the vinegar/hydrogen peroxide solution as per John Plamer.

I think I goofed.

The ball valve is more bronze looking than the other brass fittings. I soaked the whole thing assembled (I did not know about soaking it until after I assembled). So, the brass items look slightly darker which according to Palmer means too long of a soak. He says soak 5-10 minutes, I only soaked 4 minutes and the solution started turning blue/green. Plus, the ball valve is sort of blueish gray (lead?) color on the outside now, presumably that way inside too. The whole ting smelled very metallic after rinsing too.

Should you not soak bronze? Did I just screw up my valve? I do not know what it is made of, but it stated it was drinking water safe. Is it still? The way my setup goes the mash water is really only in contact with these fittings while draining but still... :confused:

Guess I should have read up on it more before jumping in. Advice???

Was this to sanitize them? they are probably OK, but I would think about ordering some time-tested no rinse sanitizer, such as Star San or Idophor. That is what most people on this board seem to use.

Rinse you parts really well, and they should be fine.

I read on this forum about "pickling" brass parts to remove surface tarnish and or possible surface lead as explained by John Palmer here:

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html

Before I read any of this I wasn't going to do anything other than run some hot water through. Just goes to show a little knowledge can make big trouble if it falls in the wrong hands... :cross:

Ahhhh- I still bet you're OK - shows you what I know - makes sense now, pickling. I never bothered to do that - figured it would happen on it's own.

correct me if I am wrong here but . . .
Isnt everything thats going to come out of your mash tun going to go into your kettle then get boiled for an hour or so therefor making sanatizing your mashtun sort of a waste of time? I understand keeping it clean but sanatizing?

Correct, this procedure is not to sanitize. I may have the wrong term but I think it is to "passivate" the brass so it is less reactive especially since there is the possibility of lead in brass compounds. That may not be the correct term but that is the reason for doing it.
Ah, well. Ignorance was bliss. I must stop reading stuff. Makes me think too much!

More drunk, less thunk!

:drunk:

:off: nice user title.

It just so happens I am off to see the Pogues this friday in Boston. :rockin:

Not that your use of that expression denotes an appreciation for said band...

I am just excited to go and thought I would brag.

:rolleyes:

Like I said... :off:

Back