Another "Check my schematic" thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExHempKnight

Reaction score
I shamelessly stole this awesome schematic from a member on here (P-J, I believe? Can't quite remember), and used it as a base for planning my control schematics.

Credit where it's due... It helped me wrap my head around what it is I need my system to do, and made my planning incredibly easier. Thanks!

Anyways, here it is. I'm building a single-vessel Brew-in-a-Basket system, with a single LG pump, and a RIMS tube for on-demand heated sparge water. I plan on using a single PID to control both the RIMS element, and the kettle element... Each with it's own RTD temp sensor. I've incorporated a 4PDT center-off switch to control which element/sensor combo I use for a given step in the brewing process.

vj3wnbrdij4y0z1217r.jpg

I shamelessly stole this awesome schematic from a member on here (P-J)
Yup. Good job setting it up for your rig, BTW.

A thought for you. Unless you intend to control the boil kettle temperature, you only need a single RTD probe and a single pole double throw switch to control which SSR you intend to fire. I say this as the boil kettle is normally run in PID manual mode using % of power. A probe needs to be connected and in place, but, not necessarily in the boil kettle.

Hmmm.. RIMS tube - no HLT - boil kettle becomes HLT. (Shut up P-J he did good)

Nice job. Congrats.!

Lol I can't really take credit for the setup idea either... I was originally planning a 2-tier 3-vessel HERMS rig, until I caught an eyeful of ScubaSteve's concept here, which completely changed my plans (literally) overnight.

I'll be using the RIMS tube for preheating strike water as the kettle fills, and for on demand heated sparge water. The element in the kettle will be used to control mash temp, so PID control will be needed there as well.

A thought for you. Unless you intend to control the boil kettle temperature, you only need a single RTD probe and a single pole double throw switch to control which SSR you intend to fire.

How do monitor the chilling temp if he chills in the BK? I think a second probe in the BK is very useful if that is where the post-boil chilling is taking place.

Back