not bubbling yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbieo13

Reaction score
First time brewing. I tried to make a pale ale from grains w/ extracs. When i first put my airlock on it started bubbling within a couple minutes now i've had nothing for about 36 hours. Is this normal?
Thanks

when you first put the airlock on it will bubble just for gasses being released from being moved around or transfer from the boil kettle.

You should show signs of fermentation within 48 hours, but usually it happens much faster.

If it doesn't show signs of fermentaion within that first 48 hours should i pitch more yeast

For what its worth...I have a primary I have been using for about 6 months now that doesn't bubble. Ever. Must be a leaky bucket. I don't use it much, and should probably find the leak, but I've done enough batches that I know when I take a peek in 10 days i'll see a little krausen left, sometimes more, and a nice big dirty ring.

I'm sure you're fine.

when you first put the airlock on it will bubble just for gasses being released from being moved around or transfer from the boil kettle.

You should show signs of fermentation within 48 hours, but usually it happens much faster.

Wrong, on both counts.

The only true"Signs of fermentation" come from your hydrometer, NOT AIRLOCK BUBBLING!!!

over 50% of my beers never have a bubble, it is normal actually for some not to bubble...

That's why we say you should never use a cheap chinese plastic airlock as a "fermentation Gauge," it's not...It's an airlock, nothing more, a VALVE to release excess CO2, to keep from blowing the lid off the fermentor...If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....

That's why we recommend to new brewers to use their hydrometers, not their eyes. I believe MOST of the new brewer's "stuck fermentation threads are not, stuk, they are using the airlock as a "gauge" rather than checking gravity.

I have found that oldschool S types seem more reliable than the 3 piece to actually bubble. I think maybe co2 isn't always heavy enough to push up that plastic piece in the center of the 3 piece.

Besides it may take up to 72 hours for fermentation to begin..

Read this...

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Your beer is fine...just walk away for 10 days minimum then take a hydro reading...

Also read this...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-start-43635/

FYI: A lack of airlock activity doesn't mean anything is wrong. The only sure fire way to make sure fermentation is occuring is by checking the gravity. Best to wait 7-10 days and check the gravity.

If it doesn't show signs of fermentaion within that first 48 hours should i pitch more yeast

NO NO NO NO!!!!

READ my blog...you don't fix something until you know it's broken, AND you wait a minimum of 72 hours before you check your GRAVITY with a hydrometer...There are no "signs of fermentation," bubbling means nothing...

If you are in a carboy, you can see krauzen forming...in a bucket you can't and krauzens can rise and fall in 24 hours and you neve know..the only way to know is with a gravity reading.

So just relax...it ain't the old days of crappy yeast cakes...99.95% of the time in an extract batch the yeast takes off...the other .5 percent is becasue the brewer dump their yeast in boiling wort...

Was your wort below 80f when you pitched the yeast?
If so then you should be fine.
Bubbles, or lack of them, in the airlock doesn't always mean something/nothing is happening, sometimes the lids or grommets leak or don't have a good seal.
If you don't notice anything after 48 hours, you can open the lid, you'd have to to add the yeast anyhow.
If you see foam on the top then it's working, put the lid back on and relax.
If not go ahead and pitch more yeast, and again relax.
Hope that helps.
Cheers :mug:

My O.G. was high (1.085). I think this was because I took my reading before i mixed my wort with the water in my fermenter. What type of reading should i be getting if i check it in 10 days.
thanks for the advice

My O.G. was high (1.085). I think this was because I took my reading before i mixed my wort with the water in my fermenter. What type of reading should i be getting if i check it in 10 days.
thanks for the advice

I think you'd have to post your recipe/ingredients before anyone could guess your final gravity reading you should expect.

Don't just re-pitch the yeast. You can/will end up with something totally different than what you intended when it does take hold.

I think you'd have to post your recipe/ingredients before anyone could guess your final gravity reading you should expect.

4oz crystal
6.5lbs dme (muntons extra light)
3/4 oz columbus(boiling)
1/2oz perle(flavor)
1oz cascade(aroma)
liquid wyeast #1056

If you didn't make a starter for you liquid yeast then it will take longer for it to take off...it's called lag time...but again unless you have taken a hydro reading, you Don't really know whether you have fermentation or not!

If you are using the "slap-pack" and didn't warm it or follow the directions on the bag, it may take a bit. Like they say in county "Just let it happen". But really, just be patient, for what it's worth, who ever said "A watched pot never boils" wasn't a homebrewer.

Ignoring the hydrometer and leaky grommet talk in this thread for a minute, the real question is whether or not you pitched enough yeast to begin with, whether you made sure that yeast is viable, what temperature you pitched at and at what temperature you are keeping your fermenter. Also, do you see a kraeusen-ring along the sides of your bucket or carboy, above the surface of the liquid?

Answer those questions, and it may be possible to give you some more detailed feedback.

thanks Everyone.

Just remember to post something like this in a couple weeks;

Originally Posted by OhioGuy
Rev.
Wanted to let you know that everything is o.k. Checked on the primary this morn. There is still no bubbler activity, but when putting my nose to the bucket, there is that distinct aroma. I opened the lid and saw A LOT OF KRAUSEN. So much that I had to resist the temptation to make a beard and mustache out of it. hahahahaha. I'm going to give it 10 days until I check S.G. again.
Thanks

that way all the other new brewers suffer the same mental illness (n00bitus-the urge to worry too much about your beer) can be reassured as well...

:mug:

I used 1 smack pack wyeast 1056. I pitched it at about 60 degrees, and my fermenter is in a room at about 60/65 degrees. when i started i took the yeast out and activated it about 2 hours before pitching. it didn't swell up that much though. I'm using a bucket and haven't checked for kreausen yet.

I used 1 smack pack wyeast 1056. I pitched it at about 60 degrees, and my fermenter is in a room at about 60/65 degrees. when i started i took the yeast out and activated it about 2 hours before pitching. it didn't swell up that much though. I'm using a bucket and haven't checked for kreausen yet.

Already covered arkaenors suggestion here...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1039086-post14.html

Take a hydro 72 ours after you pitched...

Back