Any Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
HAIL ALL!! How does this recepie sound?

5 lbs amber DME
5 lbs light DME
4 lbs Honey

2 oz Cascade hops @ 6.6% for 90min
2 oz Mt Hood hops @ 5% for 45 min
1 oz Fuggles hops @ 5.1% for 10 min
2 oz Crystal hops @ 3.5% dry hopped in 2nd fermenter

plus some lemon zest.

Never played with honey, I have read about skimming... what does this mean? Do I boil it first and skim crap off the top, add the malt and procede like you would with an ale? I also want to give just enough of a lemon flavor that you think you might taste it, but you're not sure if you do or not. How much should I use. Should I cut up a lemon for it or order some dried online somewhere? Should I use more aggressive hops to balance the malts and honey or would this be fine? :drunk: My apologies for all the newbie questions. Anyhow, all this talk of beer has me in the mood to crack one open. Catch ya later.

I just ran your recipe through ProMash and I get an OG of 1.126 and 79.6 IBUs for a 5 gallon batch. That is going to be one big beer. I wouldn't say barley wine because of the honey which ferments out almost completely. I'm estimating an ABV of about 14 or 15%. Your hop bitterness of 79.6 IBUs is probably good due to the high gravity.
Sounds like it might be a good recipe but it will take a long time to be ready (6 months to a year). What type yeast were you planning on using? I've never made anything with this high an ABV but you are going to need a yeast that is very alcohol tolerant.
I'm sure some folks who have made higher gravity beers will chime in and be able to give you more advice.
Good luck and enjoy!:mug:

When you boil honey you get proteins, wax and bee body parts floating around that should be skimmed off of the surface. If you brew your wort with hops floating around you will also skim them away.

I'd recommend boiling your honey seperately in 1 gal of water no longer than 15 mins if you want to maintain any honey flavor.

You can add it to the wort at the end of the boil or into the primary.

Back