What would taste be like without a hard enough boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
I've done a few all grain BIAB batches and they havent come out as good as I was hoping. I am wondering if part of the reason is the fact that my stove doesnt boil hard enough. Basically I use the front and back burners at the same time, but the wort only boils directly above each burner. In between them is usually pretty calm (no bubbles). What effect would this have on the final outcome? Ive gotten a turkey fryer burner that I plan on trying out but I dont think i can brew for a while due to money contraints. Thanks for any insight

My guess is you wouldn't cook off the DMS, so your beers might have a bit of a 'cooked vegetable/cooked corn' kind of flavor.

Not enough hot break would also give you a less clear beer.

Wow thanks for the fast response! Good info there, I had been wondering about DMS for a while and researched it, and I certainly think that may have been one of my issues now that you mention it.

i do the same thing as you, i leave my lid on until the break gets close to boiling over, then take the lid off and boil for 90 minutes. no DMS.

Back